Moderators

Keneboy

Hi everyone. I have the chance to obtain a PES reflex stainless moderator for my .308 varmint Tikka. I would appreciate honest opinions, good or bad, and why. Or is there a better moderator out there for the money?

Can't comment on the PES, but I have an ASE JET Z compact on my t3 varmint. Very good mod, very quiet. down side, it is not a sleeve over barrell type so it adds 560mm to your barrell. doesn't bother me but it might to some.
Sporting Rifle had a good article about mods in August where they compared 10 mods on the market.

Jonathon

This is only an observation so you more experienced don`t shoot me down please.
Which is better, the end of barrel Jet z or the over barrel Wildcat P8?
Will the Wildcat discolour the end of the barrel over time? or does the end of barrel mod favour better? Although affecting balance.
basil.

In my limited experience the over barrell type can discolour the barrell.
On my T3 varmint the point of balance is just behind the front swivel so with the harris bipod on and say you take a shot off sticks where you have the sticks rested the rifle is well balanced.
Saying that the bloody thing does way twelve and a half pounds :eek:

jonathon

Keneboy said:
Hi everyone. I have the chance to obtain a PES reflex stainless moderator for my .308 varmint Tikka. I would appreciate honest opinions, good or bad, and why. Or is there a better moderator out there for the money?

i use both PES T12 and reflex T4. on my blaser R93. i was hoping the PES would be much quieter than the T4 but they are about the same. The PES is heavier and longer ( and protrudes further forward) but it has done what i intended it to do - which was make the compact R93 feel longer when set up for foxing and bipod work and eliminate muzzle flip. i use the T4 on .308 and .243 but the PES has an 8mm exit hole so is only suitable for my .243.

the PES seems better quality than the reflex, but i dont have any issues with the quality of the reflex either. and have owned a couple over the past few years.

15082008352.jpg

R93 wearing the compact T4.

16012009525.jpg

R93 wearing the PES T12

if i only had to have one moderator, it would be a T4. you might find that if you fit a PES to your varmint it will feel very long.

Probably a silly question, but why would you not use a moderator with a 8 mm opening for a 7.62 mm (.308) bullet?

info taken from Jackson Rifles - about the reflex moderators, JMS arms dont publish this data about the PES but will tell you if you call them.

Baffle hole diameter

Standard baffle apertures are 7.5 mm , 8,5 mm, 10,5 mm and 13.0 mm. As a rule, the bullet caliber (bullet actual diameter ) plus at least one millimetre gives the exit aperture diameter.

7.5 mm hole takes 222, 223, 22-250, 6mm, 243, etc.

8.5 mm hole takes 6.5mm 270, 7mm, 308 , 30-06 etc.

10.5 mm hole takes 9.3mm, 338 etc.

13 mm hole takes 45-70 etc.

The reinforced "magnum" model (stamped "M") for cartridges above 30-06 case capacity has 10.5 mm exit aperture as standard (other aperture sizes to special order).

The smaller the baffle hole diameter the better the sound suppression, but the difference between each of the above hole size increments is only 1 or 2 dB. In general, it is better to reduce the sound by adding more baffles than risk making the baffle holes too small.

All rifle bullets yaw a little on leaving the muzzle. The longer the bullet the more baffle hole clearance we need to accommodate this yaw without risk of a bullet grazing a baffle. If a bullet grazes a baffle, it can cause a "flyer" (a shot which flies well out of the group).

my rifles are screwcut without the spigot, so its a bit safer to have a slightly larger exit hole.

my .30 T4 is 1/2" unf, no spigot and measures 10.5mm.

i you fancy sitcking a .308 through my PES you're more than welcome to try - just let me stand in the next field!!

Thank you all for your replies. All your comments are valuable when making a decision. I use a T8 reflex on a Mannlicher .223 for foxing. It does take out the crack when firing, but does not dismantle for cleaning. I can only give it a good squirt of WD40 and let it drain. My Tikka .243 is fitted with a ASE S5 stainless, which can be taken apart and cleaned. I was recommended the PES stainless as this, not only equals the T8 for moderating the noise, but can be dismantled as well. Decisions, Decisions. Good mods are not cheap, we can not afford to make hasty purchases. Thanks for all your replies.
Keneboy

Thanks for the offer Bucksden. Intersting reply, I am a little worried by your comment, 'you will stand in the next field' Would you suggest the T4 or T8 reflex first, to that of the PES? The T8 reflex does the job, but is known to corrode. I do not want the PES or any other mod getting in the path of the bullet, is that why you will be in the other field??????????
regards
Keneboy

Keneboy, I am in the same position - I have an Ase S5 & A BR tuote T8.
I notice the build quality is far superior on the Ase Utra, So I have just got off the phone to Jacksons & plan on ordering their new NorthStar.
This is like a reflex designed S5. I am not aware of any reviews although the mod is available for sale. As a result I will not be renewing my subscription to shootingsports magazine!
When I eventually track down my local RFD I will ask him to get me one in & will report my findings in the reviews section. I have no sound monitoring equipment, So will only be able to say whether the mod seems louder or quieter than the types I have already been using. Cheers Danny

Cheers for that Danny. I shall make enquiries into the new Northstar, sounds good. Price is better than the PES - £270.
There is a new stainless mod made by MYM. I beleive this mod is of the reflex type. price £240 reasonable if its good. See the website below:
http://www.border-barrels.com/
Thanks for the info.
Keneboy

Jacksons said the northstar has an RRP of £231 which strangely is cheaper than an S5!
£270 for a mod - you must be made of money ;)

Danny I wish I was made of money. When you consider a T8 reflex sell for around £200 and they are liable to rust etc. You pay another £30 to £40 pound for a stainless mod for similar suppressed sound has got to be a better investment long term. Saves you money in the long run.
Keneboy

You are of course right, you know what they say - you buy cheap you buy twice - but T8's aren't that cheap :eek:
I think with the PES they are only partially stripable, but the guys who own them would know about this better than I would.
I have been waiting expectantly for a decent moderator to hit the market & to make waves, but have not heard of anything exceptional. Danny

Please forgive the stupid question but does this mean that a moderator with a 8.5mm hole could be used on both my .243 and .270 but the sound suppression would not be quite as good on the .243?

paul k said:

Please forgive the stupid question but does this mean that a moderator with a 8.5mm hole could be used on both my .243 and .270 but the sound suppression would not be quite as good on the .243?

I think its generally accepted to use a larger moderator on a smaller calibre than it was intended,however if you wanted to use a mod that was outwith its intended calibre for example 7.5mm mod on a .270 (6.7mm) then you really should be getting professional advice from a gunsmith. :confused:

paul k said:

Yes you are correct, but in some moderator designs the matching the hole is more critical than others, if you own a Predator 8 Wildcat with this design they need careful matching of bore hole of the moderator with the calibre, where with Reflex T8 this is more tolerate you can run a 223 on a 30cal mod’ with only a little loss of efficiently. It is normal practice in the ideal world to have your hole in the moderator baffles 1.0mm/0.025” bigger than your bullet size.

Keneboy

If you want a quality moderator that you can strip and clean and weigh only 500gms (the lightest on the market) while still matching all others for sound reduction then have a look at a A-Tec moderators. The PES is indeed well made but even the Scout model is so so heavy. :eek: Still the up side is you can always club your deer to death with it if you run out of ammo. :lol: :lol:

Best rgds

Tahr

paul k said:

my PES T12 has 8mm exit hole, my 30 cal T4 has 10.5mm exit hole, and the T4 is about the same, if not quieter then the PES with what i have put through it on my .243 (70gn b tips over 39 gn H4895 and/or 40 gn varget).

so 12 baffles 8mm hole against 4 baffles 10.5mm hole - you would think the PES would be much quieter.

different powder and bullet combinations may produce different results.

Thar thanks for your imput. Everyones comments have been very useful.
I am sure the moderator discussion will go on and on, as new and different models appear. I have decided on a PES T12, shortened to fit my .308 Tikka varmint. Work being carried out by Steve Kershaw via Julian Savory of JMS. Hopefully this will satisfy my needs.
Cheers everyone.

Back