Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 220 swift!The cartridge that time left behind!

  1. #1

    220 swift!The cartridge that time left behind!

    Following on from my foxing rifle thread I thought id start a new thread to find other people who have a love affair for the good old swift just like me!
    People seriously underestimate the potential accuracy of this calibre and ease of load tuning and inherint accuracy etc.
    Im on my second swift and just getting it pieced together for more foxing and crow bashing.
    This cartridge has been ruined by bad press and if you want the ultimate off the shelf .22 cal for foxing this is it.
    Anyone care to share any load data for different bullet weights and maybe pics of their swifts?
    42 grains of n160 behind a 60 vmax is one little bullet hole in my last barrel!
    Please no calibre wars saying such and such a calibre is better blady bla!
    This is for die hard swift fans only!!

    Garry

  2. #2
    Hi Garry,

    It's like going to an AA meeting.

    My name is Steve and I am a proud owner of a 220 Swift.
    I'm also on my second barrel, but this time round I went with the ackley improved version, I load 48g of N160 behind a 52g Barts bullet out of a Kreiger 26" barrel, and absolutely love it.
    I'm addicted.....

    Regards
    Steve

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFace View Post
    Hi Garry,

    It's like going to an AA meeting.

    My name is Steve and I am a proud owner
    of a 220 Swift.
    I'm also on my second barrel, but this time round I went with the ackley improved version, I load 48g of N160 behind a 52g Barts bullet out of a Kreiger 26" barrel, and absolutely love it.
    I'm addicted.....

    Regards
    Steve



    Hi Steve!
    I knew it! Im not the only one with a love affair with the swift!
    I was beginning to worry about myself mind you! But now I feel normal

    I am using norma brass and federal gm primers.
    I want to work up a load for the 52's in the new border I have just had screwed onto my rpa.
    I bet those 52's in ur ackley dont go ay much less than 4000fps?
    I was getting 3600 in my last barrel with the 60's, never tried anyother bullet and they were so dam accurate I just left as it was. I feel a need for more speed now though!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFace View Post

    I'm also on my second barrel, but this time round I went with the ackley improved version

    Steve
    Wow..... a 220 AI must have minimum Mach IV performance

    I don't have a Swift but it's an interesting cartridge, and every bit as good as the .22-250. I think in truth it's much aligned as a barrel-burner. A lot of .220SW's have been around for many many years so re-barrelling a rifle of that vintage should be expected.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  5. #5
    Another .220 swift fan here , not had my one that long, but im loving it, semi custom jobby, based on a remmy 700, border barrel, choate sniper stock,

    im loading to the data that i had with the rifle, 50g vmax, 37.8g accurate 2520, winchester cases, federal gm primers, just the job, it shoots alot more accurate than i can

    Andrew

  6. #6
    looking at the velocities that can be attained with the 22-250 and 220 swift, it's no wonder it's a popular foxing round(s) with 40-50g bullets! very little bullet drop to 300!!! mind, powder hungry in comparison to .223 of course.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT059 View Post
    Another .220 swift fan here , not had my one that long, but im loving it, semi custom jobby, based on a remmy 700, border barrel, choate sniper stock,

    im loading to the data that i had with the rifle, 50g vmax, 37.8g accurate 2520, winchester cases, federal gm primers, just the job, it shoots alot more accurate than i can


    Andrew



    What sort of velocity are you getting with this load Andrew?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    looking at the velocities that can be attained with the 22-250 and 220 swift, it's no wonder it's a popular foxing round(s) with 40-50g bullets! very little bullet drop to 300!!! mind, powder hungry in comparison to .223 of course.


    It is a powder guzzler but a very accurate one at that!
    I still use my 223 as a jeep rifle cus its got a short barrel but when im out on the quad or on foot the swift comes out to play!
    Depends on the area thats being lamped aswell. When im in small fields or around chicken hoises my 223 is ideal but alot of my ground is wide open hilly fields.

  9. #9
    Interesting isn't it. You ask a general question as in your other thread and people will talk all day, sometimes very forthright, about BC's, penetration etc etc of their favorite vermin rifle, look at over a hundred posts!!! But ask specifically about a 220 swift and you realize there aren't many of us, mainly, I am sure, because they don't know what they are missing. I think that the Swift is at its best with lighter bullets, up to 50 gns, when its performance just cannot be matched by any other commercial round, and when you reload they are some thing else again. My favorite load at the moment is 43.5 gns Varget and 40 gn Nosler BT. Cronographed at 4475 fps ( interestingly the 40gn Vmax with the same load is 100 fps slower ). From a 100 yd zero come up 6 clicks for 300 yds, that is flat! Of course they don't like the wind but what light bullet does. All in all a fantastic round.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5shooter View Post
    What sort of velocity are you getting with this load Andrew?
    i havent checked it myself, but on the data it states 3950 fps, it does the job for me

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted .220 swift,
    By AndrewT059 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 20:39
  2. *SOLD* Ruger #1 220 swift
    By chrisc in forum Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 17:06
  3. Anybody use a .220 Swift ?
    By johngryphon in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-01-2011, 18:52
  4. For Sale Remington VSSF .220 Swift
    By Blaser243 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 10:48
  5. 22-250 AI v 220 swift
    By Nick Fahey in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-02-2010, 12:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •