Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Overall length question

.223 Overall length question

Hello chaps

I have just brought a new Tkkia T3 in 223 calibre and I have made up a dummy bullet measured at an overall length of .020" back from the lands but the bullet does not fit in the magazine due to being too long, is this normal for factory rifles and do I just have an overall length bullet that the magazine allows.

Garry
    Last edited by Rotwild; 02-03-2012 at 18:09.

are you using ballistic tips

Yes mate using ballistic tips, 55g Nosler

What bullets are you using ? i have a tikka 223...i handload 50gn upto 64gns in mine..have used 75gn Amax in past and these were to long for mag so had to hand load.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    Yes mate using ballistic tips, 55g Nosler
    55gn should be fine i would load the 55 to mag length

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfinn View Post
    55gn should be fine i would load the 55 to mag length
    Cheers mate, I will make the overall length to what the magazine allows then,

Kindest regards
    Garry

I'm not sure that there's any alternative to deeper seating if the internal magazine length is too short.

For what it's worth, this is restricted to 2.40" on the blocked .222/.223/.22-250 magazines in the M595 series, and the T3 magazines will probably be the same. The maximum cartridge OAL in my books is 2.26" for the .223 and 2.35" for the .22-250 so you should have a bit more room to seat out the .223.

The .22CF calibre barrels in Tikka's are deep-throated. I sometimes use a .243 magazine in my .22-250 to get round this, but that isn't an option with the .223 of course. The polymer-tipped designs make the problem worse, but standard softpoints can be seated out to get closer to the lands.... if that suits your rifle.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I'm not sure that there's any alternative to deeper seating if the internal magazine length is too short.

For what it's worth, this is restricted to 2.40" on the blocked .222/.223/.22-250 magazines in the M595 series, and the T3 magazines will probably be the same. The maximum cartridge OAL in my books is 2.26" for the .223 and 2.35" for the .22-250 so you should have a bit more room to seat out the .223.

The .22CF calibre barrels in Tikka's are deep-throated. I sometimes use a .243 magazine in my .22-250 to get round this, but that isn't an option with the .223 of course. The polymer-tipped designs make the problem worse, but standard softpoints can be seated out to get closer to the lands.... if that suits your rifle.
    Thank you for your advice, I will see what it groups like to the magazine maximum length, but l'v seen some aftermarket trigger guards and magazines but way too expensive!

Garry

Have you tried loading to book length and seeing how they shoot first?

In the past I have spent weeks playing with OAL only to find that the best groups were right near the book starting point.

I was given the following information tha might help.
    "My .223 is also the 20" 1-8 twist. I use a thread on silencer on the muzzle and the rifle shoots great. Every load I try shoots better with the silencer mounted. The only thing to pay attention to is that the magazine will only allow a maximum cartridge length of about 2.290". Most hand loads with heavier bullets are longer than that when seated close to the rifling. I use the Hornady over all length tool to find the distance to the rifling and then seat the bullets about .015-.020 behind the rifling for best performance with Sierra BTHP and Hornady Amax. The max length handloads need to be single loaded. The Sierra BTHP can be seated shorter and will tolerate the bullet jump and work through the magazine.

This is what I use as an aid to single shot loading, it just pops in and pops out as needed.
    http://www.originalbobsled.com/BoltGunSleds.aspx

Hope this might help