Marlin 1895 sbl 45-70!!!!!

RTO123

Does anybody have one of these for sale or know of a second hand one being sold. I'm not having the best of luck at the moment!!!
Many thanks

Have you tried Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting? They aren't easy to get hold of unfortunately... I waited over a year for mine!

Thanks for you'r help guys. That's a bit too much for me Martyn. I think I have found a new one for 1100 but I have to wait a few weeks.

Makes me want to weep! $1725 US for a Marlin Lever 45-70? Not to start a rant-fest but really: I looked at a brand-new 1895 Cowboy (26" octagonal barrel) this week for $849 US. Something is seriously wrong with the spread in prices.~Muir

Muir,

Our prices have to include the 20% sales tax. You only see yours at the checkout.

Our importers have to pay a hefty licence fee for the privelege to do so, irrespective of volume of units brought in. They therefore have to load this cost at the front end.

Our market is to small for volume dscount.

Stan

I figured as much. Too bad; everybody should have an affordable 45-70!

Here, sales tax is a State by State affair. We have none in Montana, which means that people from Wyoming drive up here to shop for those big-ticket items, including firearms. ~Muir

I have handled one of these as well. They're Ok. I'd save my pennies and get a standard Marlin 45-70 and some bullet molds and other fun stuff. (Casting and loading for the 45-70 is reloader's ecstasy. It's so hard to find an in accurate load) THe standard 45-70, especially with handloads, has ample power for anything you might encounter at close range (under 100 yards) without buying custom dies and proprietary brass. I am also not too enamored with that short barrel. A scoped take down is a night mare for repeatability so that leaves iron sights. With irons, I like sight radius for accuracy. JMHO. ~Muir

Hi, I was in a similar position a while back and ended up picking up a .444 Marlin brand new from the Gunshop in Rugby for about £500 - absolute bargain. Might be worth considering a .444 as it can do pretty much all a .45-70 can. I still hanker after the .45-70 though!

Hi, I was in a similar position a while back and ended up picking up a .444 Marlin brand new from the Gunshop in Rugby for about £500 - absolute bargain. Might be worth considering a .444 as it can do pretty much all a .45-70 can. I still hanker after the .45-70 though!

Not really. I have owned both .444 and 45-70. The .444 is a great cartridge but 365 grains is about as heavy as you can go in bullet weight. The 45-70, depending on the bullet shape, will handle close to 500 grains even through the lever gun. I shoot 560 grain through my bolt action 45-70 when the mood suits me.

That said, one of my favorite rifles was a Remington Rolling block in .444 with a 1-18" twist. It shot 450 grain bullets into tiny bug holes. The most interesting .444 I built was the same barrel in a No 1 Lee Enfield. It was a pain to make the single stack feed insert for the magazine but the customer was paying for it. If I had another .444 project in mind, it would be the same but this time for myself!~Muir

Sorry to hijack - but with the 18.5" barrel on the SBL or guide gun, is the shooter not giving up lots of performance? Is there an ideal length of barrel for the .45-70?

I will be looking for a marlin .45-70 this year. Given the cost of the SBL (which certainly wins on looks), I was thinking of buying a cheaper 24" barrelled XLR (still with the laminated semi pistol grip stock) and shortening to 20-22". Still compact but hopefully more pointable and making more use of all that powder. Things like large loop levers, longer magazine tubes, ghost ring sights etc. could be added later. This will initially be used by me for targets, but it would be good to take to Croatia for the driven boar and if I did, I suppose I would want to start to stoke it up a little! Does anyone have any thoughts on such a project?

I bought my Marlin 1895 45-70 10 years ago for £385 brand new!

Superb rifle. With a 300gn SP, and a good bit of experimentation, you can get it deer legal in England and it makes a fantastic rifle for in close woodland

It may be bl££dy noisy, but everything you point it at is found at the point it was struck :)

Superb rifle. With a 300gn SP, and a good bit of experimentation, you can get it deer legal in England and it makes a fantastic rifle for in close woodland

It may be bl££dy noisy, but everything you point it at is found at the point it was struck :)

Hmm wonder if you can get a .45 cal moderator!?

I think you'd better not have a short barrel if the 2450 ft/sec mark is your goal. I shoot the Marlin and a Mauser bolt action with 26" tubes. The lever-gun loads will just make it but beat the living daylights out of you in the process. The bolt action does it easily with less abuse. The bad part about the velocity requirement is that your (expensive) brass takes a beating at high pressure/high velocity loadings and the speed is really not necessary to kill with a 45 caliber bullet.~Muir

2450fps is only required north of the border in Scotland. English deer, other than Muntjack and Chinese Water Deer, only require a minimum of .240 and 1700ft.lbs, there is no velocity floor imposed.

Hmm wonder if you can get a .45 cal moderator!?

You philistine, that’s a bit like putting a roof rack on a Ferrari. I would have said Rolls Royce but I’ve actually seen that done and you can't really compare a Marlin to a Rolls Royce can you. :cuckoo:

These lot are showing having a couple of 45/70 in stock http://www.marlinriflesuk.co.uk/

And yes you can get mods for them as well
The .444marlin is far better for shooting in the UK and Europe :stir: I am also lead to believe that 45/70 is or was banded for shooting Boar in Germany but the .444 and 450marlin are allowed?

Bob.

You philistine, that’s a bit like putting a roof rack on a Ferrari. I would have said Rolls Royce but I’ve actually seen that done and you can't really compare a Marlin to a Rolls Royce can you. :cuckoo:

Yes, yes I suppose you're right. I suppose I have just got so used to shooing moderated rifles now.

However, putting one on a modern marlin is surely no worse than screwcutting an old parker hale or BSA that had open sights?

A .45-70 marlin can't be compared to a ferrari anyway, its more of a ford transit van?

Back