Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what calibers folow on to remm or tikka

what calibers folow on to remm or tikka

so it seams that the tikka is comeing up top gun! out of the rem and tikka debate even tho the rem has a lot more options it seams if you hunt and ask the right questions tikkas can be coutomised and its becomeing more popular

so next i need help on what cal

was going for a 22.250 as i have one and love the flat round
    so what next stick with that or move to

1. 6.5X55 or 47

2. 25 06

3. 270

bearing in mind im wanting the peformance of a 22.250 with more power the 25 06 is tempting and i dont no alot about the 270

so whats your opinions cheers

Tim

If you like flat 6.5X55 is a dream to shoot.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If you like flat 6.5X55 is a dream to shoot.
    as flat as a 22.250?

As you have a 22-250 my vote goes to the .270 a much maligned but excellent round thst will educate anything in the u.k

i you want somthing flat then 6.5-284 or a 7mm wsm
    other than that 6.5x47 gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    As you have a 22-250 my vote goes to the .270 a much maligned but excellent round thst will educate anything in the u.k
    the keeper next door has a 270 and he says its a underated rifle thats y i added that as an option he also sed they are flater than ppl think but thats all i no about them to be honest

the 25 06 is just a 6.5 with a larger case but the 6.5 was developed because of the advance in powder is this correct? if so dose that rule out the 25 06?

Jeez some people

6.5mm is 0.264" bullet.. In British terms the 6.5mm is called 0.256" but that's because the British measure bore diameter and not groove diameter otherwise the .303 would be a 0.312" .

the 25-06 is a .25 cal and uses bullets of 0.257" diameter. You cannot shoot 6.5mm bullet through a .2 5 cal nt even a 25-06 as they are too big. You could shoot .257" (.25 cal ) bullet through the .26 cal 6.5mm but they would have a lot of blow by as they cannot fill the grooves of the barrel as they are too small.

Te 25-06 is a necked down 30-06 and not a 6.5mm with a larger case ........................ sheesh!

The 6.5mm became popular originally around 1891-1896 with several powers adopting them as their service cartridges. Sweden, Normay, Portual, Greece, Japan and Romania to name a few.

6.5x47 is a new "fashion" short chamber high pressure cartridge and apart from bullet diameter has little in common with the 6.5x55 Swedish cartridge that was mentioned and an alternative.

I suggest the OP does a little web surfing and searching to satisfy themselves what is factual and true and what is just cobblers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Jeez some people

6.5mm is 0.264" bullet.. In British terms the 6.5mm is called 0.256" but that's because the British measure bore diameter and not groove diameter otherwise the .303 would be a 0.312" .

the 25-06 is a .25 cal and uses bullets of 0.257" diameter. You cannot shoot 6.5mm bullet through a .2 5 cal nt even a 25-06 as they are too big. You could shoot .257" (.25 cal ) bullet through the .26 cal 6.5mm but they would have a lot of blow by as they cannot fill the grooves of the barrel as they are too small.

Te 25-06 is a necked down 30-06 and not a 6.5mm with a larger case ........................ sheesh!

The 6.5mm became popular originally around 1891-1896 with several powers adopting them as their service cartridges. Sweden, Normay, Portual, Greece, Japan and Romania to name a few.

6.5x47 is a new "fashion" short chamber high pressure cartridge and apart from bullet diameter has little in common with the 6.5x55 Swedish cartridge that was mentioned and an alternative.

I suggest the OP does a little web surfing and searching to satisfy themselves what is factual and true and what is just cobblers.

the resion i have posted the thred is to find out from ppl like your self whats true and cobblers thats y i asked the question im not one to say thing i dont no about or copy and paste things of the web to make it look like i do

so in yop whats better for bucking the wind and being flat as a round out of the cals i have listed?

Quote Originally Posted by grousekeeper View Post
    the resion i have posted the thred is to find out from ppl like your self whats true and cobblers thats y i asked the question im not one to say thing i dont no about or copy and paste things of the web to make it look like i do

so in yop whats better for bucking the wind and being flat as a round out of the cals i have listed?
    sorry wer not all as up on it as ur self but if we wer this site would be a bit boring now