Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else ?

What else ?

As already mentioned i have ordered a loading kit, i have got a set of dies for the 25-06, primers and powder, in the future i will look at dies for the .308 and the .223. what else will i need when this lot arrives ?

Lee Breech lock challenger O frame press
    breech lock quick change bushings ONLY ONE SUPPLIED
    auto primer too w/set of 11 shell holders
    perfect powder measurew/stand
    powder funnel
    case trimmer
    chamfer tool
    safety powder scale
    primer pocket cleaning
    tube of sizing lube

Regards tika.308

You'll need some brass or won't have anything to put your primers or powder in, or trim and chamfer

Joking aside sounds like you've just about got it all to get started. But be warned, reloading can get in your head and you'll find yourself in a day dream pondering how you can just tighten that group up a little more. The equipment is also endless depending how far you want to take it.

Matt.

I would add a set of calipers and a Hornady comparator, I also bought the Lock-N-Load quick change bushes which work a treat. You will need a case loading block and possibly a lube pad. Sooner or later you will need to use a kinetic hammer, this is used to unload a bullet if a test batch needs some element / parameter changing.

Maybe add a powder trickler, and consider how you are going to clean your brass ie tumbler and/or sonic cleaning
    Last edited by dave1372; 03-03-2012 at 21:58.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

I hate to mention the obvious, but how about reloading manual???
    I recommend the Lee, 100%.~Muir

The Hornady comparator is an unnecessary expense (especially to buy over here), you can reload perfectly without it!
    I will say that I'm not impressed with the Aluminium gauge inserts not only are they inconsistent they will damage really easily.

Oh and the Lee safety scale is worth a miss too, hopeless is the best description!

I too found that the Lee scales were a real pain to use. I switched to a set of RCBS 5.0.2, excellent and very easy compared with the Lee.

you may need something like these
    Loading tray by MTM

possibly an adapter for the powder funnel for your .223 as some times the powder funnel may be a bit wide with the one size fits all and is a pain in the butt if you are not spot on, as the powder can slip down the outside of the neck
    Reloading powder funnel set by MTM

possibly a neck cleaning brush

a dedicated reloading bench where you can leave it set up is ideally the way to go I found , better than using the kitchen worktop
    I hav a RCBS set up and found I needed 2 shell holders , one for the primer and one for the press, not sure how the lee works

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    The Hornady comparator is an unnecessary expense (especially to buy over here), you can reload perfectly without it!
    I will say that I'm not impressed with the Aluminium gauge inserts not only are they inconsistent they will damage really easily.

Oh and the Lee safety scale is worth a miss too, hopeless is the best description!
    If and when the reloader experiments with COL a comparator is a must, measuring from the tip of a softpoint is not accurate enough. I just had a look back through my Fleabay purchases but I couldn't find what I paid, I think it was 14 including postage, mine is the calibre dedicated version not the one with inserts and you'd have to have the dexterity of an Rhino with Parkinson's to wear any part of it.

Lee scales are frequently "dissed" you'd think they would improve them to stop the bad press, RCBS 502 & 505 frequently crop up on "the bay" and these are excellent.

Thanks for the info so far guys, as for the manual i take it the lee modern reloading 2nd edition would be the one to get ??