Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Glue

Super Glue

Looking through the posts on Jimbo123p's post reminded me to ask. I have heard of super glue being used in vet and medical operations. Is this just super glue of the shop shelves or is it a "special" medical sort. Not that I would for one second consider using it myself but what are the applications. In the case of Jimbo's dog with a cut lip could it have been super glued instead of the dog being put under and stitched. If so would costs have been less and less risk to the dog. Amazing stuff super glue. Seen it used to bring up figerprints on the inside of a vehicle. Did the job but wrecked the interior of the car.

They do make special skin glues for human and veterinary use. The cost price is quite a lot more then the Loctite you buy in Tesco, but I honestly couldn't say how different the products are.

Superglue would be completely contraindicated in a traumatic wound that hadn't been cleaned properly. Often it's the cleaning and debridement that requires the sedation or anaesthetic rather then the sutures. If you trap even a few bacteria in you risk making things very much worse. Glue should only be used in a clean controlled environment IMO.

I only every use glue in small wounds with no tension, eg a small 1cm cut after a cat spay. Great for cut pads (once you've stopped the bleeding).

Skin staples are fine but the wounds needs proper cleaning. That doesn't mean swilling it off in a stream or wiping with an antiseptic wipe. The hair needs to be clipped and copious lavage with water under moderate pressure is required (bacteria have a hydrostatic charge so don't just rinse off the surface). At least if things start going wrong with staples you can just remove them.

All but the most minor wounds need proper veterinary attention.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

hi Apache,

You know you stuff, can you advise of a antiseptic cream (for my dogs) i can carry with me for those small accidents i.e cut paw or small barbed wire cut.

thanks for the info in advance

frank

It seems to be standard practice now to glue even large surgical wounds in people. When I was gralloched last year I was quite surprised to find the surgeon closed me up using a row of large permanent sutures in the abdominal muscles beneath and then just glued the skin together above. That was a 7 or 8 inch incision and it healed surprisingly quickly.

It is a medical grade of standard cynano acrylate. Probably chemically identical but certified sterile etc.

I wouldn't advise gluing up your own dog to save money though.
    Last edited by csl; 04-03-2012 at 10:12.

Most of the dog injuries we would fix our selves never really had time to go to a vet had to be done on the spot. Wide spectrum Antibiotics from the farmers into the leg muscle would clear any infection from wound from bites or or worse. Dog will lie while you flush wound and put in a stitch flush with diluted dettol.

Only place I would use superglue is the nailbed if the nail bleeds after clipping. My current pack all have clear nails. The cocker I lost on Hogmany to pancriatitis had black nails. a bugger to clip. Yes the one inch wound cost me 223 hopefully direct line will cough up all but eighty pounds of that. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Only place I would use superglue is the nailbed if the nail bleeds after clipping. My current pack all have clear nails. The cocker I lost on Hogmany to pancriatitis had black nails. a bugger to clip. Yes the one inch wound cost me 223 hopefully direct line will cough up all but eighty pounds of that. Jim
    keep on top of Direct Line. I had lots of problems dealing with them. They didnt keep to their word and delayed things for as long as possible and were generally a pain in the the proverial @rse.
    All the best mate

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Looking through the posts on Jimbo123p's post reminded me to ask. I have heard of super glue being used in vet and medical operations. Is this just super glue of the shop shelves or is it a "special" medical sort. Not that I would for one second consider using it myself but what are the applications. In the case of Jimbo's dog with a cut lip could it have been super glued instead of the dog being put under and stitched. If so would costs have been less and less risk to the dog. Amazing stuff super glue. Seen it used to bring up figerprints on the inside of a vehicle. Did the job but wrecked the interior of the car.
    Superglue was invented in the Vietnam era as an emergency wound closure. Since then it has been further developed and diversified into everyday use. Medical superglue is dermatologically tested, the other variants are not. SG vapour is also used to fluoresce fingerprints in enclosed spaces.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi Apache,

You know you stuff, can you advise of a antiseptic cream (for my dogs) i can carry with me for those small accidents i.e cut paw or small barbed wire cut.

thanks for the info in advance

frank
    To be honest I am no great fan of any antiseptic creams. They are unable to do what they claim on the whole and you will find them next to useless. We used to be able to get an iodine ointment that I liked but is no longer available. Also see my reply to the quote below.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Most of the dog injuries we would fix our selves never really had time to go to a vet had to be done on the spot. Wide spectrum Antibiotics from the farmers into the leg muscle would clear any infection from wound from bites or or worse. Dog will lie while you flush wound and put in a stitch flush with diluted dettol.
    Ok where do I start on this one? It is vital for any wound that it is cleaned properly. On the whole any antiseptics or disinfectants should be reserved for use on intact skin, Dettol is positively contraindicated. I can live with dilute iodine (should look like larger) or chlorhexidine solution to do the majority of the cleaning to keep costs down and where large volumes of sterile solutions are not available. The final rinse should always be with 0.9% saline (you can make it yourself with 1 pint of boiled water with 1 teaspoon of table salt). The rinse is vital to remove any detergent or disinfectant from the wound.

Using strong old fashioned products like Dettol and TCP cause major damage to the delicate internal tissues and delay healing.

Antibiotics NEVER EVER replace proper cleaning of a wound. If they are indicated (after prescription with a vet) then they must be given at an appropriate dose for a suitable length of time. I am happy letting people with working dogs having a full course on hand for these minor ailments. There is nothing licensed for small animals that a farmer would have that would give more than 2 days cover and that is just not enough.

Not having time to get to a vet is no excuse. Minor wounds (1cm or less) are often best left open to drain if caused by dirty means, with a proper antibiotic cover. Never stitch or staple bite wounds - they can go very nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    Superglue was invented in the Vietnam era as an emergency wound closure. Since then it has been further developed and diversified into everyday use. Medical superglue is dermatologically tested, the other variants are not. SG vapour is also used to fluoresce fingerprints in enclosed spaces.
    Superglue is much older than that and was invented during the second world war. It seems that the glues used for medical applications are a slightly different chemical composition.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    keep on top of Direct Line. I had lots of problems dealing with them. They didnt keep to their word and delayed things for as long as possible and were generally a pain in the the proverial @rse.
    All the best mate
    Slightly off thread but seeing as Direct Line get a mention I thought I would chip in.
    My wifes wee dog was bitten in the eye with one of my dogs. ( I would love to be able to say that my wife acepted that these things happen with dogs however....)
    Anyway, backwards and forwards to the vet several times with the wee dog which lost the sight in the eye and had recurring infections. Eventually was advised by the vet that the eye should be removed. Promptly carried out the proceedure and claimed through the insurance which was held for several years and no claims being made. (all other visits to vet weren't claimed as they were less than the excess)
    Claim was knocked back as eye removal was carried out more than 12 months after initial diagnosis! And we are talking only a couple of weeks and we were following vets advice re treatment.
    Vet was apologetic and trimmed back the bill slightly and as a result we have cancelled all the pet insurance we had. We will now take our chances as all the dogs and cats we have have fortunately been in excellent health.(touch wood)