Moderator help

MONGOOSE

Hi guys did a search but could not find the answer to my question

If I were to make myself a moderator for my rifles what's the legal position with regard to putting it on my fac am I allowed to make one what goes in my slot for the calibre any help most appreciated I have a slot for each calibre just for reference thanks guys

This is a very grey area and i would advise contact with your licensing office if i was you before you do anything.
There is no absolute clarification on the laws regarding the ownership of moderators, there are lots of different interpretations by different constabularies and their cheif constables, individuals also have their own ideas of what is legal and what is not.
My own interpretation is that moderators are like shotgun cartridges, you dont need a licence to own a moderator but need one to purchase one (Rimfire and centrefire).
When your moderator is attached to a licensed firearm it then needs to be licensed in its own right.
The complicated part is entering the moderator you made onto your FAC, this is a catch 22 situation, once on your FAC it is regarded as a regulated accessory and your authority to enter this moderator onto your licence must also be entered onto the certificate, a regulated part can only be entered by a RFD.
This is my interpretation of the relevant law and is also that held by my licensing office, in other words i could make myself a moderator but could not use it.

Ian.

Last edited:
i have looked into this as i have sourced all materials to start making them ,like whitebeard i could make them but you need a slot to own one on a cert and you would need an rfd to sell them or become an rfd ,atb wayne

i have looked into this as i have sourced all materials to start making them ,like whitebeard i could make them but you need a slot to own one on a cert and you would need an rfd to sell them or become an rfd ,atb wayne

I have a slot for all rifles and being an engineer have made them for air rifles and could copy most of the top end moderators for myself for probably £20 i dont want to sell them just make one for myself but didn't no if I could just put 6.5x55 moderator etc on my ticket and that would suffice I may give my firearms department a ring tomorrow and see what they say....

ah right got you ,if you have the slot there is no legal standing on making your own unlike the usa in most states you have to apply for a cert to make one , i am under the impression that it wont need proofing unless you sell,atb wayne. ps not sure if you have been on the us site but is good for info
SilencerTalk View forum - Silencersmithing Forum

ah right got you ,if you have the slot there is no legal standing on making your own unlike the usa in most states you have to apply for a cert to make one , i am under the impression that it wont need proofing unless you sell,atb wayne. ps not sure if you have been on the us site but is good for info
SilencerTalk View forum - Silencersmithing Forum

Here's one I have copied,thanks for the link and info to buddy

0848ed11.jpg

Last edited:
very nice, is that stainless
like your use of o rings i have gone for a stackable baffle with cones will post mine up when finished atb wayne

very nice, is that stainless
like your use of o rings i have gone for a stackable baffle with cones will post mine up when finished atb wayne

No buddy made this one out of ally 1/2"X20 unf just to try out works awesome for the fac air hmr .22lr not to sure how it would hold out at centrefire levels but going to make a stainless one next to try out on CF, look forward to looking at yours mate and thanks

it does look good i have a couple of designs to try out the simplest being the stepped cones with spacers and a smooth cone i have the stainless tube and the first strike cone will be stainless and possibly the second and the rest in ally to save abit of weight . i dont actually use a mod very often but cant help it i like making things and have started ,
so pictures to follow,atb wayne

it does look good i have a couple of designs to try out the simplest being the stepped cones with spacers and a smooth cone i have the stainless tube and the first strike cone will be stainless and possibly the second and the rest in ally to save abit of weight . i dont actually use a mod very often but cant help it i like making things and have started ,
so pictures to follow,atb wayne

ATB with you projects mate look forward to seeing them.....

No buddy made this one out of ally 1/2"X20 unf just to try out works awesome for the fac air hmr .22lr not to sure how it would hold out at centrefire levels but going to make a stainless one next to try out on CF, look forward to looking at yours mate and thanks

well i have a alloy mod here thats 8" long and is very similar to yours in manufacture,(its been on sale for 3 weeks) its made from a single billot of alloy with a sleve and end cap.

tested it on a 20 tac, 222/223/243, all with no ill effects,

if you make it a over barrel type where the expelled gasses have to be contained until the bullet passes then the pressure on the alloy internals/primary baffle may prove to be an issue.

bob.

Back