Yesterday was speaking to Mr Farmers grandson who works for him. Tells me he had seen close on 12 roe in a grass field that lies adjacent to a wood (not mine). Not early morning but more late morning/mid day. Last year about this time I was seeing 8/9 on the field that was then in winter barley, not during the day only at night whilst lamping. The afternoon was not bad weather wise so decided to go have a look. On arrival I disturbed a large doe out on the field but after a 30 minute wait in the highseat overlooking this area nothing else ventured out. Although the sun was out the wind was icy cold. I moved from there up into a wood and sat in a seat that views a wide ride and open tree/grass area. As I sat a slght movement caught my eye and almost hidden from view was a buck that I have seen many times. A good quality animal. I left him last year but he may well have seen his last rut. Bringing in a bit of new blood is never a bad thing. I looked down at the dog and he was intently staring in the direction of the buck but then swung his head around to look down the ride. I looked up and there was Mr Fox scurring off at a great rate. No time to get onto him as he disapeared off the track and back into the wood. 5.50pm, time was getting on so decided to walk to the far end of the wood and look out onto another grass field that will be in kale later this year and hopefully will be a good pheasant drive.
This field is surrounded by woods and as I glassed the edges I could see a doe with a young buck. I watched for a couple of minutes and then about 30 yds further left I spied a young doe. I have scanned this area many times with a range finder and know from where I was to the young doe is 220yds. Three times I had the rifle nicely rested on a straining post with the cross hairs on her. A squeeze and she was would be dead. Maybe tomorrow.......