Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caliber advice required

caliber advice required

hi all i have got a mauser m03 comeing, waiting for fac to come back with new cals aded
    main caliber as 7x64 deer, fox + a.o.l.q also got 8mm aded deer,fox + a.o.l.q the qustion is at a later date work & money allowing i would like to shoot plains game in africa + boar in uk & maybe driven in europe mauser do 2 barrels in 8mm being 8x57 & 8x68s
    any advise pros & con on these 2 cartridges would be very helpfull [availability of ammo not a problem as i roll my own]

many thanks in advance steve

I've not shot it but I hear 8x68 bites like b*ggery. A little later why not think about 9.3x62. Think that would even work with the bolt you've got for your 7x64...

9.3x62 or a 375H&H I think would be a much better addition to the 7x64.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

What about .308win for everything in the UK ammo plentiful and a second barrel in 375 h&H or 9.3x62?

Jase

as stated in my first post allready have 7x64 witch will do anything 308 will do and ive allready got 8mm on ticket i could have gone up to 338 but bigger cal than that & my feo pulled a funny face because i do want to be abel to us it in this country

Quote Originally Posted by 20/20 View Post
    as stated in my first post allready have 7x64 witch will do anything 308 will do and ive allready got 8mm on ticket i could have gone up to 338 but bigger cal than that & my feo pulled a funny face because i do want to be abel to us it in this country
    Surely you could 1-for-1 it if you have 8mm. I'd have thought 9.3 wouldn't have been an issue with boar hunting in mind? Especially as in France 8x57 is termed military and won't be useable. Try that one on them. 8x57 is (from my limited understanding) very like .30-06 in terms of ballistics and therefore probably isn't a big enough "jump" to work in your battery starting with a 7x64.

Just my 2p.

ATB Scrummy
    (PS am getting my first 7x64 built soon, just finalising specs and am thinking a 9.3 might compliment it well!)

agreed scrumbag 7x64 8x57 too close to each other that why i was thinking of 8x68
    but general opinion seems to be leaning towards 9.3

Quote Originally Posted by 20/20 View Post
    agreed scrumbag 7x64 8x57 too close to each other that why i was thinking of 8x68
    but general opinion seems to be leaning towards 9.3
    If you really want an 8x68 go for it, you'll be the one using it so you pays ya money, you takes your choice. I'd think about the 9.3 though.

What I found helped when I went for 7x64 was I sat down and wrote columns of pros and cons about each calibre side by side and that really helped clear my thoughts.

Apparentlty Ruger have sorted their triggers out so this might be a really good option: Ruger African Bolt-Action Rifle Models

ATB,

Scrummy

I'd tend towards the 8x57. I think it makes a good match with the 7x64 - the 7mm for long range work and the 8x57 with 200grainers when ranges are shorter.

The 8x68 really needs a fair bit of range before the extra recoil pays off. I'd take one to africa or alaska, but otherwise i wouldn't worry. 8x57 is my standard boar and large deer cartridge for hunting within 250m. In the mauser, there is also the option of the 8.5x63 Reb, which is a fine cartridge if you handload. 9.3x62 is a fine cartridge, and i have one, but i wouldn't feel the need for one unless i was shooting big bears and buffalo. There is a perception for some reason the 9.3x62 doesn't recoil much. It does! Very similar to a 338 Win mag (or 8x68).

My understanding is that the restrictions on military calibres in France are on the way out.

2 colums pros & cons thats not a bad idea ill have to put a lot more thought into this one
    i would only need a barrel as it will be part of a switch barrel system [ mauser m03]
    apparently 8x68 kicks like a mule though