Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people shoot without a Mod?

How many people shoot without a Mod?

Hi everyone,

Just curious. All the stalkers I know (regardless of quarry - whether shooting deer, or foxing or rabbits or whatever) use moderators. Being fairly new to rifle shooting (been shooting shotguns for many years), I intend to put mods on all the guns I get as well. However, how many people DON'T use mods?
    Does it cause problems with the noise, or is it all just down to personal preference?

i shoot all my rifles without mods two 270 and a 300 winmag although i did contemplate putting a muzzle break on the 300 i have mods for the rifles i just prefare to shoot without one ,one of my 270 is a stutzen so cant do out with that anyway. i made the decission not to use a mod when i went to newzealand i didnt want to lug a mod around a mountain every bit of weight loss helps for that. i really like the balance of a rifle without a mod on i use sticks or free hand and it suits my style of shooting atb,wayne
    ps i have never found the noise a problem with or without for me or the deer i have shot two and three without them running ,on a range i think it would be a a problem in fact doing my dsc1 i opted to let all the other guys shoot first and at the end i went so i didnt disturb anybody elses shooting.
    Last edited by mereside; 05-03-2012 at 14:30.

30 06 manlicher full stock for deer hence no mod

I prefer to use a mod for the obvious reasons: it cuts down disturbance to animals and people and avoids one having to wear muffs or plugs to protect one's hearing.

However, I'm rather fond of combination guns, which can't be moderated, and to be honest, I don't feel I'm at a great disadvantage when using them, despite the extra noise. For example, on one outing before Christmas I shot a fox with my .222/20g combination gun, stayed in position and just 10-15 minutes later had a muntjac from the same high seat.

What I particularly like about the combinations is that a 24" barrelled gun still handles like a shotgun, letting you get on target fast. Indeed, the last three foxes and the last muntjac I shot were all taken over open sights.

Few moderated rifles handle this well, but if you're carrying a pair of sticks or shooting from a high seat this scarcely matters.

I only have a mod on my Annie .22LR where it is truly effective. The Ruger #1 22-250, Tikka M690 25-06, and Sako 75 7mm-08 are all unscrewcut. I have a bit of a phobia about accuracy being effected after screwcutting so I won't take the risk.

My 7mm rem mag with a brake, sweet shooting, well balanced just loud.
    My 9.3 express double built for running game, love that gun.
    my estate rifle has a mod as does my 22250 for foxing.

2x .270, one with a brake one without.
    just pop some plugs in before you pull the trigger if you are concerned

never used a mod on my CF's, probably never will either. The list of why I hate mod's is endless, but just carrying the rifle with a bipod upsets the balance enough, always having to keep it from slipping to sit horizontally on the shoulder, etc. etc. then add the mod and you might as well carry it tube down,,except that with the extra length you'll plug that fokker in about 10 seconds flat, and then blow your face off...so there you have it, lose your hearing or lose you face?..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    never used a mod on my CF's, probably never will either. The list of why I hate mod's is endless, but just carrying the rifle with a bipod upsets the balance enough, always having to keep it from slipping to sit horizontally on the shoulder, etc. etc. then add the mod and you might as well carry it tube down,,except that with the extra length you'll plug that fokker in about 10 seconds flat, and then blow your face off...so there you have it, lose your hearing or lose you face?..LOL
    same as me, no mod on my .243 or 30-06 (although i have a mod for the 30-06) but i do tape my barrel to avoid the scenario you mention regarding plugging it in the ground.
    Cheers
    Richard

This topic has been raised many times before, and TBH you've already made your mind up to fit one so a discussion is pointless.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ight=moderator

Speaking for myself I don't believe in them or need them. There are a couple of doubts I'd add to the list.

Because a moderator reduces recoil and barrel flip, a lot of people claim that this makes for more accurate shooting. The trouble with this theory is that the bullet has already left the barrel before the benefit is felt. Another claim is that a mod. reduces downrange sound but I flatly don't believe this. I'm frequently just forward & off to the side of both moderated and un-moderated rifles when they're fired, and the blast seems to be the same. My hearing might be impaired, but it's good enough to make the comparison.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.