Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blaser R8 help please

Blaser R8 help please

Chaps... have just taken delivery of my R8 pro.

I have a very nice Brownells Latigo Quickset 1 1/4" leather sling which I want to use on my R8. To do this I need 1 1/4" QD swivels but Blaser, in their infinite wisdom have decided to use studs with smaller diameter holes than seems to be the norm meaning I can't use anything but the swivels suppled with the Blaser sling. These are quite narrow and useless to me.

Does anyone know of any QD swivels that will fit the blaser studs?

My other option is to drill the studs out slightly which, for obvious reasons, I am very reluctant to do!!!

Vipa, Not only are the holes through the studs smaller than the usual Uncle Mikes but the stud is also narrower - 6mm not the usual 8mm.
    I have just had the same problem, sort of, my sling was 2cm wide and all the swivel loops in UK are either 1" or 1.1/4" and for a stud width of 8mm but the rod would not go through the stud anyway.
    I had to get a set of swivels from Alan Rhone at a cost of 40, even if you get a set from him the loop will not be wide enough for your sling unfortunately.
    By the way, I tried drilling the holes and all I managed to do was ruin some good quality HS drill bits!!!
    Ian Mulliner of Mulliner guns Wimborne may be able to help you, give him a ring.

Had the same with my mauser M03, I drilled them out and have had no problems.

Dave

Blaser club rule no 1. Thou shalt use Niggeloh sling!

I had a similar problem on a R93, I drilled the stud holes out and then took up any slack with loctite, I don't think that I would ever try that again, when I got my new R8 (from Ian Mulliner) I managed to get the Blaser sling for an acceptable price. The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I had a similar problem on a R93, I drilled the stud holes out and then took up any slack with loctite, I don't think that I would ever try that again, when I got my new R8 (from Ian Mulliner) I managed to get the Blaser sling for an acceptable price. The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim
    tim good advice this is exactly what I did bought the sling from Ians regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Blaser club rule no 1. Thou shalt use Niggeloh sling!
    Abide thee the rule and thou shalt prosper.

The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim
    And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered .

No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality .................................................. .............

can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered .

No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality .................................................. .............

can it?
    Thanks for your uninvited input... really appreciated! There is no engineering issue, Mauser and Blaser use smaller metric pins rather than lager imperial pins that come out of the States... this is a size issue not a quality issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered .No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality can it?
    The problem, if it can be called that, only arises when we Blaser owners try to cut corners and fit American swivels and British ones made after the American style, to European rifles.
    A bit like trying to get Ford Fiesta spares to fit a BMW or Mercedes
    I have no issues with mine over quality whatsoever
    Last edited by EMcC; 06-03-2012 at 10:20.