Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to reloading

Newbie to reloading

Hello folks,

Am thinking about starting to reload. Is there a good "Idiots guide to reloading" out there.

Am not looking for tables and tables of loads, just a basic how to and introduction to components, equipment and techniques.

ATB,

Scrumbag

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Hello folks,

Am thinking about starting to reload. Is there a good "Idiots guide to reloading" out there.

Am not looking for tables and tables of loads, just a basic how to and introduction to components, equipment and techniques.

ATB,

Scrumbag
    Hi,
    And me!. thought I've done some handgun reloading previously !I am going through the initial 'research phase' too

Take a look at the 'stickies' at the top of the reloading forum as both will give an excellent start to your new hobby!
    There is an extensive series of postings titles 'Newbie reloading Help' with a huge amout of information and help already available.
    The general advice is read everything on the forum, get a good reloading book and take it step by step.
    There is a huge amount of skill expertise and help on the forum to get you going safely and effectively.

To start with maybe you'd like to take a look at this free PDF:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf

The is an 'ABC' manual on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/1440213968/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331041521&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The Lee manual which seems to be a standard for most reloaders and very informative at:

http://www.henrykrank.com/new_books_shooting__guns.html

Good luck

Regards

Fraser

Check out

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?349147-Reloading-some-basic-questions-answered-and-some-good-links

plus

Put "Ammosmith" into the search box on YouTube. Then sell your TV......... ;-)

Welcome to The Dark Side!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

HI-a good place to start would be to look at csi second post on this very forum-informative as regards the process from start to finish.regards Richard.

http://ammosmith.com/

Good link and lots of vids. If you use link suggested by eyefor you'll need to be signed into forum: this is direct link.

T
    hanks Eyefor. Good find!

Regards

Fraser

When I started I got both the Lee and the ABC. The lee is useful in that it has a lot of load data, all generic bullets but comprehensive nonetheless.

The ABC is an easy read and seems a widely recommended starter book.

In terms of load data, companies like Lapua/Viht publish free. If you want a paper book then I'd recommend the "1 book 1 caliber" range.
    Enjoy...

I consider myself a beginner and was disappointed by the lack of actual info on reloading rather than data in a lot of reloading "manuals".
    I bought the Lee book and sold it after reading it.
    Apart from the fact that it didnt have data for 75gn .243 with N160 it left me with more questions than answers.

awful lot of info on the web for free.
    take in as much as you can and apply common sense to filter out the gun nuts and "hot loaders"
    I use VV data but print off the pages every now and then as they always change their data. very annoying.

as ever the key things is whatever you read or whatever data you read that works in someone elses rifle MAY NOT work in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I consider myself a beginner and was disappointed by the lack of actual info on reloading rather than data in a lot of reloading "manuals".
    I bought the Lee book and sold it after reading it.
    Apart from the fact that it didnt have data for 75gn .243 with N160 it left me with more questions than answers.

awful lot of info on the web for free.
    take in as much as you can and apply common sense to filter out the gun nuts and "hot loaders"
    I use VV data but print off the pages every now and then as they always change their data. very annoying.

as ever the key things is whatever you read or whatever data you read that works in someone elses rifle MAY NOT work in yours.
    What put you off from the N-160 data for the 80 grain bullet??

Funny how two people can read the same book and come away with diametrically opposed opinions on the work. I have found the Lee book to be one of the most informative ones I have ever read. In all seriousness, what were the unanswered questions? No dig or malice intended. I recommend this book a lot and if there are some holes in it that I haven't realized would stump a person, I'd like to know. You can PM or email me if you wish and I'd be grateful.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    What put you off from the N-160 data for the 80 grain bullet??

Funny how two people can read the same book and come away with diametrically opposed opinions on the work. I have found the Lee book to be one of the most informative ones I have ever read. In all seriousness, what were the unanswered questions? No dig or malice intended. I recommend this book a lot and if there are some holes in it that I haven't realized would stump a person, I'd like to know. You can PM or email me if you wish and I'd be grateful.~Muir
    Ha, Nothing, but then I can get that for free from the VV/Lapua website!

I guess I had heard so much about it and had high expectations.
    My first foray into reloading has been based on cost first and accuracy second.
    I worked on the principle that if I could reload cheaper than factory including initial outlay on materials and the groups were better than factory then I was ahead.

I am beginning to consider crossing to the dark side and getting a press (use a lee loader exclusively at the moment).
    The fundemental question I had was "why Full Length resize"? The Lee book stated "Hunting loads should be FL resized" but didnt say why or detail that comment.
    If I have no extraction problems and the quick reloading that may be necessary for a follow up shot is not an issue......is there another reason? My cases are not "growing", shoulders not moving giving headspace issues.
    To me a fireformed load specific to my rifle seems like the obvious first choice. just based on my application of common sense to the process.

I wanted more technical detail on the pros and cons of various methods rather than what felt like reading a sales brochure for Lee products. That's fine in itself, but good products sell themselves. I don't need to pay to be sold them. The mere fact that someone reading the book has obviously paid for the book and has an affinity for Lee ideas and products should negate the need to market them so heavily in a book.

From a book I want detailed first hand info on crimping, on neck sizing using a press versus a lee loader (external vs internal), FL vs Neck sizing, case length, OAL, neck tension, annealing etc etc.

Just didnt get that. so I read it, absorbed it and sold it!

Bewsher,

There is an excellent article printed in the Hodgdons #26 manual on precision hand loading hunting rounds that would probably cover all your asking. Of course it's long out of print now having come out in 1992.

Vhit go into this in quite detail in their loading manuals despite being Finnish their manuals are very Americanised I noticed their 1st Edition saying that bullets seated into the lands give best accuracy and the photos are all of American competitiors from teh look of their dress. In the 4th edition there is a great photo of a Cowboy Action shooter showing how NOT to do it as he has the lever action rifle rested directly on top of a fence rail with no padding etc however their technical write ups are fairly comprehensive.

There is also the ABC of hand loading although I have never looked into it's pages.