Slapperdean Roe cull

when you say managed, you mean annihilated day and night of course;)

+1 of course. Why would it be any different. What I do not and will not agree to is the fact that deer are never taken into account and are always treated as the number one enemy of trees. Having dealt with a number of issues with deer management over a few years and especially in Scotland, deer have been, in my opinion number one enemy for a considerable time, and I have yet to see them treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.

+1 of course. Why would it be any different. What I do not and will not agree to is the fact that deer are never taken into account and are always treated as the number one enemy of trees. Having dealt with a number of issues with deer management over a few years and especially in Scotland, deer have been, in my opinion number one enemy for a considerable time, and I have yet to see them treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.
+1 When will they learn that biodiversity can also include deer.

Here we go again!
Does anyone know where this bit of ground is?
Do they know the background to said story?
If not then why say the deer will be culled too hard!
This is a poisoned chalice if ever there was one IMO
This is NOT a job for a recreational jolly whenever it's a nice day,this is a job of work right in the publics view?

Malc they are no.1 enemy of trees in certain places,are they not?
Anyone involved with culling deer,that I know,has a healthy respect for them and love seeing them as well,we still shoot them do we not?

Exactly

This area is only small on the outskirts off Aberdeen between Torry & Cove i think. I recall seeing a few Roe around this area when i lived nearby. It is all built up around it on 3 sides. I dont understand why they need a mass cull or the need to plant 80,000 trees myself. But as usual the deer have to be shot. What about the people who enjoy seeing them on a regular basis so close to the city? SNH not to blame this time or are they??:stir:

Malc they are no.1 enemy of trees in certain places,are they not?
Anyone involved with culling deer,that I know,has a healthy respect for them and love seeing them as well,we still shoot them do we not?

I would like to think that all stalkers hold deer with a healthy respect. But over the years I fear that my opinion has changed, as this is not always the case.

Whilst I agree with regeneration of natural forest, what I do not agree to and never will is the indiscriminate killing of deer for the sake of commercial forestry. Even in the case of natural forest deer have a place, and yet one only heres of deer being a problem. When do we ever here of deer being an asset, how much revenue does stalking raise throughout the highlands? employment?

I think its a shame that deer seem to be chased from pillar to post, and there seems no end in sight to it, especially in some parts of Scotland. In this particular case it may be that a cull is needed, but one would hope that if it is undertaken it is carried out ethically and professionally and a reasonable population is left to sustain both trees and the deer, and not a total slaughter which is the case in many places, and I have to say usually with a lamp in many cases.

ATB

Looking at the title of the thread made me wonder what you would call a radical solution to an outbreak of promiscuous fornicatory activity at a school for very top-drawer young ladies.

Any thoughts?

Looking at the title of the thread made me wonder what you would call a radical solution to an outbreak of promiscuous fornicatory activity at a school for very top-drawer young ladies.

Any thoughts?

Dalua, have you never heard of Slapperdean and Scumdee before? LOL...sorry not trying to offend anyone:scared:

I would like to think that all stalkers hold deer with a healthy respect. But over the years I fear that my opinion has changed, as this is not always the case.Whilst I agree with regeneration of natural forest, what I do not agree to and never will is the indiscriminate killing of deer for the sake of commercial forestry. Even in the case of natural forest deer have a place, and yet one only heres of deer being a problem. When do we ever here of deer being an asset, how much revenue does stalking raise throughout the highlands? employment? I think its a shame that deer seem to be chased from pillar to post, and there seems no end in sight to it, especially in some parts of Scotland. In this particular case it may be that a cull is needed, but one would hope that if it is undertaken it is carried out ethically and professionally and a reasonable population is left to sustain both trees and the deer, and not a total slaughter which is the case in many places, and I have to say usually with a lamp in many cases. ATB
Now as trees are planted,deer colonise,all that's required is a cull to manage numbers to a level to let the trees get a hold,once that happens let the deer frolick about the place with the added benefit of a whole different ecosystem for people from the town to enjoy on their doorstepFor the sake of a few roe,the land,people and deer themselves will benefitMalc,one of the only ways perhaps to control deer there will be with the lamp as the place is ultra populated with walkersAll of us as stalkers need forestry in one way or another,it benefits the deer in the long term and us,no?

PS this is not commercial forestry it's amenity,ie broadleaves,better for all types of wildlife,humans included

Back