Winchester Brass .223 / Remington Brass .223 ??? help

mrgsm

Hi, I'm just about to purchase some 223 brass for reloading and was wondering what is the best out of these 2 - Winchester Brass .223 / Remington Brass .223 This will be for a fox round! many thanks!

There won't be a lot of difference in quality between Winchester and Remington brass neither is regarded as being high quality, more aimed at the budget end of the market really. That's not to say that there is anything really wrong with either brand.

ok i might be missing the point and i realise that top quality brass will be more consistant but how much differance would it make in a bog standard hunting rifle.

There won't be a lot of difference in quality between Winchester and Remington brass neither is regarded as being high quality, more aimed at the budget end of the market really. That's not to say that there is anything really wrong with either brand.

You work in Politics, then?? :D~Muir

No simply trying to be honest about it Muir. Some on here will straight away state that you must use Lapua / Norma /RWS etc as anything else will be next to useless. I have cases by all of these plus some Winchester cases. All do the job of holding the components together but some will do a slightly better job than others or will last longer. I can't in all honesty say than one is more accurate than the other at the relatively short ranges that I shoot over. My choice of cartridge case is normally decided by availability and cost rather than manufacturer. That's not to say that given a choice I wouldn't pick Lapua over Winchester or Remington any day of the week as long as the price difference wasn't too great.
For example in the past I have used IMI (Israeli Military Industries) case in .222rem, they lasted longer than Lapua cases used with the same loads and much longer than Winchester cases. I currently have a few hundred Lapua .308 cases, they don't appear significantly better than the Privi Partizan cases that I have in the same calibre, but there again I don't go to the extreme of weighing cases or measuring water capacity etc.

Last edited:
No simply trying to be honest about it Muir. Some on here will straight away state that you must use Lapua / Norma /RWS etc as anything else will be next to useless. I have cases by all of these plus some Winchester cases. All do the job of holding the components together but some will do a slightly better job than others or will last longer. I can't in all honesty say than one is more accurate than the other at the relatively short ranges that I shoot over. My choice of cartridge case is normally decided by availability and cost rather than manufacturer. That's not to say that given a choice I wouldn't pick Lapua over Winchester or Remington any day of the week as long as the price difference wasn't too great.
For example in the past I have used IMI (Israeli Military Industries) case in .222rem, they lasted longer than Lapua cases used with the same loads and much longer than Winchester cases. I currently have a few hundred Lapua .308 cases, they don't appear significantly better than the Privi Partizan cases that I have in the same calibre, but there again I don't go to the extreme of weighing cases or measuring water capacity etc.

I am sure I've got some privi cases I can swap for your Lapua... Least then you'd have all one brand :D

I am quite happy with the Lapua thank you Milligan especially as I picked up the once fired Lapua cases for a very reasonable price. I can't give the game away as to my source, I will say that they were a fraction of the usual price. So not worth the bother of the postage Milligan but I would have been just as happy with the PP cases at the price I paid.

Muir I knew where you were coming from and yes I was attempting to be diplomatic, it's just that I don't quite follow this preocupation that many shooters now have with ultimate accuracy that borders on the measures taken by bench rest shooters. We all like accurate rifles but personally I will accept a slightly lesser standard, none the less all my rifles will shoot 1" or less groups (even the double rifles). My rifles and loads are all capable of exceeding my individual needs. I know my limitations both physically and financially so tend to limit the range that I shoot at. With me it's a keep it simple attitude that I employ to both shooting and reloading, none the less I try to avoid buying rubbish but get a greater achievment from shooting with minimal outlay if I can.

Last edited:
Muir I knew where you were coming from and yes I was attempting to be diplomatic, it's just that I don't quite follow this preocupation that many shooters now have with ultimate accuracy that borders on the measures taken by bench rest shooters. We all like accurate rifles but personally I will accept a slightly lesser standard, none the less all my rifles will shoot 1" or less groups (even the double rifles). My rifles and loads are all capable of exceeding my individual needs. I know my limitations both physically and financially so tend to limit the range that I shoot at. With me it's a keep it simple attitude that I employ to both shooting and reloading, none the less I try to avoid buying rubbish but get a greater achievment from shooting with minimal outlay if I can.

A sensible man.:thumb:~Muir

I to like to be as thrify as possible, so I shoot PPU brass in .223 and .22 hornet.
Both do a very good job, and have lasted well in both calibres.

Neil. :)

Hi, I'm just about to purchase some 223 brass for reloading and was wondering what is the best out of these 2 - Winchester Brass .223 / Remington Brass .223 This will be for a fox round! many thanks!

I use both and they work fine.
Look after them, don't run to many hot loads and they will last a long time.

I had a .223 for about 5years and used Remmo brass in it all the time only bought 100 cases and they lasted while i had the rifle some of them had at
least 6 outings never had a problem with em

just get Winchester mate your shooting foxes the fox doesn't know he,s been shot by a lapua case ive used lapua over the years great case great price I use Winchester now not bothered if iloose one or two regards ang good shooting.

Both will work, neither is great. They are both a bit irregular and hard.

Spend the extra £40 and buy Lapua.

I have never found winchester hard
far from it
half a bag of brand new cases had neck dings and required sizing
the primer pockets seemed to go slack much quicker too

compared to Rem I would choose Rem
RP brass is cheap to buy and hard wearing IMO

I am not a buyer of Lapua gospel
as much as the quality is clearly there they are catering to the hot loaders with thicker and harder brass than some brands.....IMO

I don't run hots loads and don't want to be annealing every few firings

Back