Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Too many deer for too few people - George Monbiot's Blog in The Guardian

  1. #1

    Too many deer for too few people - George Monbiot's Blog in The Guardian

    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

  2. #2
    I'm a nuclear submariner, and a trident one at that, so I have never managed to get beyond P. 2 of the Grauniad without throwing it across the room in a fit of outrage anyway. This is not helping my blood pressure any...

  3. #3
    To quote

    "It takes as its case study the county of Sutherland, a wide territory in the far north of Scotland, covering 5,200 sq km".

    well, thanks for that

    Condescending ****.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

    "HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).



  4. #4
    I am no fan of Monbiot, or environmental fascists in general. His off the cuff suggestion that somehow "mass wildlife tourism" could provide economic growth in the highlands is laughable.

    But the man is correct in some key areas. The highlands were forceably depopulated in the 18th and 19th centuries and their people displaced - call it what it was - ethnic cleansing.

    What I cannot support is the idea that these clearances should be perpetuated so a few people can have deer stalking.

    The highlands need to be managed and regenerated in the interests of the current and future people who live there and for a much greater diversity of plants and wildlife than just deer, grouse and heather.

    We had somewhat similar issue here in Ireland, but the land acts of the late 19th century forced a lot of land back into the hands of the small farmers, whose ancestors had owned the land in the first place before it was forceably taken from them.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 07-03-2012 at 09:06.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  5. #5
    They don't call him "Moonbat" for no reason ....

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    To quote

    "It takes as its case study the county of Sutherland, a wide territory in the far north of Scotland, covering 5,200 sq km".

    well, thanks for that
    The sad fact is, there are quite a few of his readers who won't know the location or size of Sutherland... Arguably he is writing for the guardian's readership afterall...

  7. #7
    There's a substantial core of truth in his article. The structure of land owneship in the Highlands and the uses to which the land is put are hardly conducive to benefiting most of its' inhabitants. There's room for more diverse farming, deerstalking, tourists and more people: the balance is all wrong. And it is most certainly the long-term consequence of ethnic cleansing and a subsequent land-grab. That's not to say that living under a clan/tribal system from subsistence agriculture was a great life by any means, but at least it was some sort of life. Whereas now, hardly anyone lives there, under what is essentially just another feudal system.

    In the South (which isn't exactly Utopia either), we generally have to accomodate other land users when deerstalking. Certainly when I'm shooting woodcock, I adapt my timetable to try and avoid others (easy enough, the hours are unsociable), but I often meet ramblers, dog walkers, riders, cyclists, foresters, etc.

    At the risk of sounding like a hippie, why can't we all just get along, Man?

    I understand that the landscape, climate and ecology of the Highlands doesn't lend itself to intense use and dense population, but it can fit more people and uses than it does now. Of course, that would require another land-grab...

  8. #8
    The nice thing about GM is that he very helpfully puts that picture of himself at the top of the column so everybody knows what to think about him even before you start reading.

    Has anyone got a link to the actual report? I've had a quick look at the SGA site but can't spot anything except the press release.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    There's a substantial core of truth in his article. The structure of land owneship in the Highlands and the uses to which the land is put are hardly conducive to benefiting most of its' inhabitants. There's room for more diverse farming, deerstalking, tourists and more people: the balance is all wrong. And it is most certainly the long-term consequence of ethnic cleansing and a subsequent land-grab. That's not to say that living under a clan/tribal system from subsistence agriculture was a great life by any means, but at least it was some sort of life. Whereas now, hardly anyone lives there, under what is essentially just another feudal system.

    In the South (which isn't exactly Utopia either), we generally have to accomodate other land users when deerstalking. Certainly when I'm shooting woodcock, I adapt my timetable to try and avoid others (easy enough, the hours are unsociable), but I often meet ramblers, dog walkers, riders, cyclists, foresters, etc.

    At the risk of sounding like a hippie, why can't we all just get along, Man?

    I understand that the landscape, climate and ecology of the Highlands doesn't lend itself to intense use and dense population, but it can fit more people and uses than it does now. Of course, that would require another land-grab...
    I'm not too impressed by Monbiot but I tend to agree with much of your answer... the balance as you say is all wrong - - I for one would love to see our Straths repopulated with a broader diversity of people and occupations making up small viable communities.

    JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    The nice thing about GM is that he very helpfully puts that picture of himself at the top of the column so everybody knows what to think about him even before you start reading.

    Has anyone got a link to the actual report? I've had a quick look at the SGA site but can't spot anything except the press release.
    Did this link not work ?
    Too many deer for too few people €“ a self-defeating study of the Highlands | George Monbiot | Environment | guardian.co.uk
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Similar Threads

  1. Deer Stalking - Anyone know these people?
    By bills in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-10-2011, 20:10
  2. Balanced opinion from the guardian
    By andibrains in forum Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-02-2011, 17:10
  3. For Sale Surefire M6 Guardian
    By RED-DOT in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 20:39
  4. my first blog/thread
    By bob edwards in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 21:44
  5. Great blog!
    By Ballibeg in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 20:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •