Weird Calibres?

dingwall_dave

It looks like most here stalk with a selection of fairly "normal" hardware; 243, 270, 308 and the like. Whats the most unusual calibre anyone here actually uses to shoot deer in the UK? Does anyone actually use stuff like 244Rem, 300H&H Magnum, 303British, 7mm Jap etc?

I used to use a savage 250-3000 (till my father sold it) it was his but a cracking round, even better it was an underlever.

Andy

I use a 6.5 creedmoor maybe not normal over here at the moment, not weird I hope:lol: absolutely cracking round.

PJ.

Sorry I cannot think of any weird calibres .................................. can think of some obscure cartridges though such as 9.3x57 Mauser, 8x56R Mannlicher and 6.5x53R Mannlicher. Doubtful that you will any on your local dealers shelves.

don't have one, but I'd love to try a 6.5X68..I just know I could take that buck clean down from across the big mountain valley from 650yds, with no holdover! LOL...

don't have one, but I'd love to try a 6.5X68..I just know I could take that buck clean down from across the big mountain valley from 650yds, with no holdover! LOL...
Had one,brill but savage on roe,brill on red/sika,zero'd @100m,1" drop @ 200m,120g pill travelling @ 3600fps or thereabouts if memory serves me right

I used to use a savage 250-3000 (till my father sold it) it was his but a cracking round, even better it was an underlever.

Andy
Andy.
I have always fancied the Ackley Improved version of this Cartridge. One of Ackley`s most successfull conversions.The performance from this little Cartridge is excellent.

Yorkie.

Andy.
I have always fancied the Ackley Improved version of this Cartridge. One of Ackley`s most successfull conversions.The performance from this little Cartridge is excellent.

Yorkie.

Yorkie you know what the best ackley conversion is and you are denying yourself if you cannot admit to it.
Going on about 250-3000 in an improved version and actually owning one of the worst improved 25 cals is blurring your judgement, just admit it you really do want a 257 roberts improved:stir::rofl:

I'm not in the UK but thought I'd toss in my own. In the last few years I nave used .303 Brit, 8x57J, 8x57 JS and will be using 9,3x57 this fall if things work out with the replacement die parts I have coming from Hornady. Oh, and a 357 magnum handgun this fall as well.~Muir

I currently use the 6.5x57, I have found so far it has the qualities of the 6.5x55 only BETTER :p it is a shame this round is not more popular in this country as I understand it is in europe. I also used to own a .303 Lee Speed by Westley Richards that I had a scope fitted to and that was a great stalking rifle.

Had one,brill but savage on roe,brill on red/sika,zero'd @100m,1" drop @ 200m,120g pill travelling @ 3600fps or thereabouts if memory serves me right

Isnt that just a normal 100+ gr bullet trajectory? 1" at 100, 200yd zero follows for pretty much any round from .243-.308
real question is what was it like after 200yds?

During some of the 20 years or so between 1972 and 1993 when only .22cfs were legal for shooting deer species in the Irish Republic I used a Mauser Model 66 rifle in 5.6X61 Vom Hofe Super Express calibre.

This I believe was the most powerful .22cf in factory production anywhere in the world.
It fired a 77grain bullet at 3708 fps generating a muzzle energy of 2350 foot-pounds.
Unlike most .22cfs which are .224 this evil beast was .227/8 which created the problem of availability of heads/projectiles for re-loading purposes.
For re-loading I myself used the Norma 70 grainers which were made for the .22 Savage High-Power which also used the fatter bullet.
Many stalkers in Eire at that time used the RWS 5.6X57, an excellent cartridge generating about 1900 foot-pounds from a speed of about 3400 fps with the 74 grain bullet which was the standard .224 diameter.

HWH.

Isnt that just a normal 100+ gr bullet trajectory? 1" at 100, 200yd zero follows for pretty much any round from .243-.308
real question is what was it like after 200yds?
Beg to differ,me thinks,not normal with a 120g bullet
Only dropped 5 to 6" @ 300m,on paper targets
.270 drops more than an inch at 200,so do most calibres unless you're working something fast and light
It's a good calibre but hurts your ears and wakens the dead,as I said a bit too savage for roe,reason I changed

I currently use the 6.5x57, I have found so far it has the qualities of the 6.5x55 only BETTER :p it is a shame this round is not more popular in this country as I understand it is in europe. I also used to own a .303 Lee Speed by Westley Richards that I had a scope fitted to and that was a great stalking rifle.

I have a 6.5x57 on a sporterised Mauser M98. It has an old Hensoldt 6x scope which has been welded to the mounts. It is very accurate but very, very noisy which is why I won't use it for stalking. A great Calibre though!

Come on Conor1 why is the rifle too noisy for stalking, does it rattle too much as you walk along???:rolleyes:

Come on Conor1 why is the rifle too noisy for stalking, does it rattle too much as you walk along???:rolleyes:

The report is absolutely deafening. It is unmodded and I have no intention of wearing ear defenders whilst out stalking. Moreover I pretty much use my.308 exclusively. I am not exaggerating, it is louder than my 300 Win Mag which has as a muzzle brake fitted. We're the report not so loud, I would consider using it......

Back