Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauer continental calibre choices....advice please

Sauer continental calibre choices....advice please

I know there are going to be hundreds of different answers to this, but here goes....
    I have a Sauer 202 in .308, I am toying with the idea of another barrel to cater for continental shooting as and when/if the opportunity arises for boar etc, available options according to garlands website are as below (I didn't bother including the smaller calibres):

6.5x55, 6.5x57, 25-06, .270 Win, 7x64, .308 Win., .30-06, 8x57IS, 9.3x62

Which would be the best suggestion, clearly ignoring 30.06 and 308. And also for the Sauer know-it-alls, are all of these suitable for the bolt and mag I have for the .308?
    I have only shot with .243 and .308 so I have know idea about the others pros and cons, available grain weights etc for each calibre. It would be likely that I would get rid of the 308 barrel if I did do this as i can't see myself chopping and changing between them so I need something with enough punch for big reds etc round here too.

Cheers

Andy

All are compatible with your bolt, none will fit in your magazine.

I would just use the 308 unless you absolutely have to have a new barrel. If you must have a barrel, go for a 7x64 or the 9.3x62.

Someone will no doubt bail in with the military calibre boll#cks about France. The reality is I have never met anyone who went shooting in France and my understanding is that there is little commercial shooting in France.

On the other hand I know loads of guys who have been to Poland, Germany, Czech Rep, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia etc. The 308 is perfectly legal in these jurisdictions.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

But what about the restrictions on military calibers in France Brian?

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Well the other halfs family are in southern france and keep talking about getting me out with their local hunting friends on boar, whether it ever happens or not, time will tell, but its more of a potential than some of the other alternatives you suggested Brian, but I appreciate what you're saying, I love the .308, just thought I'd see what general consensus was.
    Cheers

308 seems perfectly reasonable for boar - i would have shot hundreds to more than 300lb with the 308, and none of them stood there and argued with me about my calibre choice. If i was going to add a barrel, i'd be thinking something a little flatter shooting. Maybe a 25-06. I think Sauer might also offer 6.5x65 RWS - which i think might be an even better choice.

Sorry to contradict you Claret Dabler but there is a fair bit of commercial shooting in France it’s just a matter of knowing where to look because they do things slightly different to us. I shot in France last year but it took me some time to make the arrangements and I didn’t receive a lot of assistance from the guy I shot with either.
    With regard to a suitable calibre for France with the Sauer rifle forget about 8x57is as that is a military calibre (also known as 8mm Mauser or 7.92x57mm). My personal choice would be 9.3x62mm but that requires a special magazine and bolt in the Sauer, or so I was told when I enquired some time ago. Also it would be a special order and you would probably have to wait at least six months for it to arrive at the importers in this country (Garlands) though it is a very common calibre in Europe and readily available over there.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Sorry to contradict you Claret Dabler but there is a fair bit of commercial shooting in France it’s just a matter of knowing where to look because they do things slightly different to us. I shot in France last year but it took me some time to make the arrangements and I didn’t receive a lot of assistance from the guy I shot with either.
    With regard to a suitable calibre for France with the Sauer rifle forget about 8x57is as that is a military calibre (also known as 8mm Mauser or 7.92x57mm). My personal choice would be 9.3x62mm but that requires a special magazine and bolt in the Sauer, or so I was told when I enquired some time ago. Also it would be a special order and you would probably have to wait at least six months for it to arrive at the importers in this country (Garlands) though it is a very common calibre in Europe and readily available over there.
    Thanks for that, I was interested in the 9.3X62 option, but I wasn't sure if it was a bit big for european quarry, most of the write-ups I'd seen online were about its ability on plains game, that said, reds round here get pretty huge, and dead is dead, I'm sure most muntie won't get back up to argue the toss with me!

9.3x62 is heavy and slow, I saw people using it on roe with little meat damage. Less damage than .243.

I have a Sauer in 308 and bought the 9.3 x62 barrel for France. I have been on a number of driven Boar hunts in France and although my hosts have never checked what calibre I am using they always ask ! The Police can and sometimes do turn up and check paperwork and if there is any problem then it becomes a massive deal.
    The 9.3 x 62 is a great calibre to shoot and is plenty good enough for any boar {as is the .308 }. By the way the .308 bolt is fine but you will need a new magazine. Cheers Guy.

Suffolk Stalker I'm glad you mentioned checking the paperwork prior to the start of a shoot in France. Like you say the penalties and consequences are very severe and even include imprisonment, subsequently the organisers are very particular about checking hunting permits which are only granted if you can also prove insurance. How often is evidence of suitable insurance and shotgun or FAC's requested in this country?

When I enquired about buying a Sauer with barrels in .308 and 9.3x62 I was told that the same bolt may work with both calibres but that there was a special bolt for the 9.3x62, so much for the reliability of the information from the importers. At the time I doubted it, but as they couldn't or weren't interested in ordering a barrel in that calibre anyway I let it go.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.