Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: barrel paint

barrel paint

hi was wondering if any one had done a home job of coustom painting ther barrel?
    if so what paints did they use for best results with heat transfer and the fact that you may get cleaning solvents on it

of is ther a good company that dose a good job at no to mutch cost

cheers Tim

It is fairly costly buddy. Because of the prep work. My mate has his stock, barrel and action dura coated
    and it all looks superb. Wasn't cheap though thats for sure. Dave wild done it.

His firm is called valkyrie rifles look at his work here http://www.valkyrierifles.net/duracoatcustompaint.htm

When I get round to rebarreling my rpa. Im going to have mine teflon coated at rg rifles.
    I like the look of it. And should be really hard wearing. Just phone round and get some prices

also there is a place in south Wales called dip it. they do hydrographics my rpa stock will be send there in a month or so to have it dipped in a carbon look. how hard wearing it is i couldn't tell you. but i will find out after having mine done
    Last edited by jay 22; 08-03-2012 at 14:41.

Give Russell a call at RG Rifles, Mintlaw he does teflon coating and it looks superb, I am thinking about getting my rifles done with him.

Regards,

Martin

il have a hunt around like you say its nt cheep thats the resion i was wondering if any one had done ther own and what it had come out like

correct, it's the prep work that takes time, which involves finely polishing the barrel, sights and receiver down to probably either a 600 grit or a 1200 grit. I've been working on a restoration project which involves polishing down EVERY single part of the rifle, from barrel to even the internal trigger workings. All the relevant pieces will then be hot-blued, some flame blued, some bead blasted and then all reassembled.

anyway the long and short of the story is that polishing down the barrel and receiver, rails, tang, raceway, etc. etc. from 240 grit to 400 grit took about 3 weeks of ad hoc evening work. I still have to polish it down to 600 and then 1200 and then use proper cloth/material based steel polishing tools and media for the final 'shine'. I expect that two take another 2 weeks of ad hoc evening work.

The blueing process will then be ready to commence, even though having put all the work in for a very beautiful polished steel look, I almost feel bad not leaving it polished - LOL!

long and short - it's a lot of work, if you do it yourself, then you can take a lot of time and money out of the process, and perhaps just ask a pro to re-blue or duracoat/teflon coat it, thereby probably saving you quite a lot of money.

one thing I don't know, is whether you can duracoat/teflon coat on top of existing blueing, IF that is the case, then it should be pretty easy and cheap, I recall someone on the forum posting they would do full duracoat painted and baked for about 200 I think.

I buy a lot of beaters from the indian reservation and often paint the barrels when the finish has been rubbed off. I degrease the barrel, warm it slightly, and paint it with common spray paint. I like matt black, high temp engine enamel but have switched to Krylon-brand "O.D. Green" enamel. I apply the paint in light misting coats, allowing plenty of drying time in between coats. The results are good and pretty durable. The best part is that if and when I do scratch the paint, the fix is in my garage and it only takes a few seconds to repair it. It's a cheap way out but one I use a lot.~Muir

good point M,

black manifold coating/paint will do the job and withstand the heat..I believe it's popular as a DIY and cheap alternative to duracoat and teflon

I had my new walther barrel dun it is not cheep but it is good

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    It is fairly costly buddy. Because of the prep work. My mate has his stock, barrel and action dura coated
    and it all looks superb. Wasn't cheap though thats for sure. Dave wild done it.

His firm is called valkyrie rifles look at his work here http://www.valkyrierifles.net/duracoatcustompaint.htm

When I get round to rebarreling my rpa. Im going to have mine teflon coated at rg rifles.
    I like the look of it. And should be really hard wearing. Just phone round and get some prices

also there is a place in south Wales called dip it. they do hydrographics my rpa stock will be send there in a month or so to have it dipped in a carbon look. how hard wearing it is i couldn't tell you. but i will find out after having mine done
    Dw does great work a friend of mine at the club had a gun done fluorescent orange check like pattern looked awesome and hard wearing same as the above link page half way down really good stuff

russel gall uses kg gun kote ,i think the kg is verry good but needs to be baked in the oven and blasted with ali oxide for best results
    dura coat also do a do it your self kit