Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reduced power .270 load

reduced power .270 load

Hi All, I have been asked by a mate to take a look at his PH 270 this weekend. He is struggling to hit anything with it and it's kicking lumps out of him.
    I was going to knock up some lighter loads to try. Bullets will be 130gn gamekings, Norma brass and federal primers.
    Looking in the cupboard I have some H414, some re22, re19, H1000, and some H380. that is surplus and as i'm financing it i thought id try the 414 with a starting load of 50gns. has anyone got any experiance of making a low recoiling load with any of these powders? will there be much differance in the factory Norma he is using at the moment. would one of the other powders be more suitable (I only use N160 but I don't want to use that on Ammo for someone else)

Ezzy

Sorry not to comment on those specific powders.

My main thought with the .270 is based on a Ruger and my current Sako. They always seem to soot better groups when at the top end of the powder load. I use 60gr of H4831sc for my 130gr gamekings.

Good luck.

DC

Ezzy

Could I make some suggestions?

Lighter bullets might help? ~100gr and keep them street legal?

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse.exe/browse?categoryid=7278&categorystring=9315+***+652 +***+19785+***+9016+***

Put a moderator on the rifle.
    Attach a meaty bipod.
    Wrap a bit of lead sheeting round the butt?
    Get a really good recoil pad fitted?

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck. JCS

Try a 100gr Hornady soft point over 54.5gr of H380

It will have to be 130s for this weekend as it's all ive got in stock for the .270. he paid 150 for the rifle and doesn't want to put a mod on it as he feels it's a waste of money on a 150 rifle. i'll try a few over the weekend if he still cant get on with it he's going to chop it in for a 243
    He bought it second hand and doesn't even know if it's ever been cleaned.
    I will clean it, check the action screws and Crown. Then i 'll shoot it with his factory stuff to see if it's him or the rifle. we will take it from there.
    If the 130s wont work i'll get him to pick up some 100s in the week.

Ezzy

I used 51.5gr of N160 with a 140gr in an unmod'ed 270 for years. Made it a pussycat. I would try the same load with the 130gr bullets.

Nasty kicking 270's tend to be a symptom of poor stock shape. No doubt I will attract Brithunter's ire for suggesting this....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I used 51.5gr of N160 with a 140gr in an unmod'ed 270 for years. Made it a pussycat. I would try the same load with the 130gr bullets.

Nasty kicking 270's tend to be a symptom of poor stock shape. No doubt I will attract Brithunter's ire for suggesting this....
    Well I might take my Blaser up for him to try

Wink

Your friend could just get the little 6.5x55 apparently its good for the overly sensitive.

Down loading a .270 is daft as it is designed to be fast and flat. If he doesnt mod it, why not sell and get a more tender and loving round...like a 6.5x55.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Down loading a .270 is daft as it is designed to be fast and flat. If he doesnt mod it, why not sell and get a more tender and loving round...like a 6.5x55.
    For my benefit, Why is downloading a 270 daft? he bought a 150 rifle to see if the sport was for him. If he part exes it he might get 100 for it then add the hassle of a variation. If he mods it he will still need a variation then screwcutting them buy a mod. He hasn't shot a deer yet! If I can find a mild load I can easily duplicate a bloody 6.5x55 .He can practice without developing a flinch or if he has one already we can work it out. Just because it was designed to be fast and flat means nothing to me. Please remember that this guy zero's his 222 at 70m and wont shoot it past 100m so a few hundered fps wont make a blind bit of difference to him or the Deer
    I only wanted to know if anyone had any experiance of these powders in milder loads.

Ezzy