Thread: Buying a rifle that's used reloads

Buying a rifle that's used reloads

Hello all strange question to ask but here goes!
    When buying a rifle would you be put off it if the previous owner had used reloaded ammo for it but the results were 3 round groups in the same hole! Well that's what he is stating!
    Would this bear any doubt in buying!!
    Thanks stu..

Speedystu,

Would you be put off by a brand new Sako claiming the same with factory ammo???

Now we all know that "one mans loads" and " one factory load" are equally the same.....

Stan

Stan

Hello stan
    Nope would not be put off at all but is there such a thing as a perfect factory load that's concistantly doing what you won't it to!

Personally I would be wary. My local RFD won't buy any used gun now, unless he's shot it first. He reckons that too many shooters are hot loading and ruining the barrel. But just because it's been shooting reloads doesn't mean the person doing it has been stressing the rifle - BUT - you pays your money, you takes your choice.

atb with your purchase

Scrun

Speedystu,

The point is that 1000 rounds of a home load achieved in 100 rounds of development (within SAMMI spec) isn't much different than shooting 1000 rounds of a factory load.

The fact that one or both do, or not do, what YOU want is irrelevant.

How YOU hold the rifle, what bullet weight YOU want to shoot, what YOU consider "good enough" is not party to the previous owner or a new rifle.

Stan

might get very shot down for this but in my opinion,people who reload,the majourity,,,are conscious of these points,1:the fact that in the long run it is cheaper to reload,2:you have a far more variation of bullets, loads heavy or light,3:you noticably find better accuracy,4:you are interested to see what has happened at the deer end ie,the entry exit,5:you love your rifle, and the barrel too is kept in optimum condition,cleaned regular and properly,check the barrel look at the bolt,ask how many rounds it has had,then be content the fact it has had reloads that loaded correctly makes no difference,,,if you buy an custom rifle from a company normally they shall give you a load that suits that rifle with a target showing what it will do on paper,and these guys know there stuff,personally i always buy new,cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Personally I would be wary. My local RFD won't buy any used gun now, unless he's shot it first. He reckons that too many shooters are hot loading and ruining the barrel. But just because it's been shooting reloads doesn't mean the person doing it has been stressing the rifle - BUT - you pays your money, you takes your choice.

atb with your purchase

Scrun

Quote Originally Posted by speedystu View Post
    Hello all strange question to ask but here goes!
    When buying a rifle would you be put off it if the previous owner had used reloaded ammo for it but the results were 3 round groups in the same hole! Well that's what he is stating!
    Would this bear any doubt in buying!!
    Thanks stu..
    So what did you decide mate?

scrun

Not a problem! Going to buy! Thanks all