Thread: Nikon scopes???

Nikon scopes???

I have a new trainee who has been offered a rifle package with a Nikon scope on top. I've never used one myself and would value some opinions from those that have as to their suitability. It will be mounted on a moderated rifle, probably either a .243 or a 25.06.
    I've heard bad things about similar packages with Nikko Stirlings on and don't want him to buy something unsuitable.
    Thanks in advance.
    MS

I have an older Nikon 3-9x40 here. The ocular housing is a bit bulky but optically it seems good. Pity a previous owner was bit ham fisted in lens cleannig and has left a miriad of tiny scratches on the objective lens but the view is still clear. This one has no model name on it so I have no idea how old it is. That's the only experience I have of the Nikon scopes.

I would say though it far better built than the later Nikko Sterlings.

I used to own a Nikon Monarch 3 in 4-16x42 mil dot ret, a very nice quality scope indeed, I planned on outting it on a .17HMR but never bought the rifle in the end and sold the scope to a bloke off here. In would buy another, very good optics for the money I would say!

you cant put nikons in same class as niko stirlings the optics are better. its a very good scope for your money the strange thing about nikons is in the usa you get a life time warranty in the uk only two years ? i have two and think both are very good but thats just my opinion

I have a few Nikons, and have had several more, great scopes for the money, and that goes for both the cheap and the more expensive ones.

Neil.

i have one of each. the nikko stirling nighteater on my .22 lr. it is more than adequate for that. i thought it was really clear until i got a nikon monarch 6x42 for my 243. in poor light you look through it and it looks like someone has turned the light on. i now have this on my 308 and have no problems with it at all. if i could afford it i would get another nikon and put it on my .22 lr but thats would be a real luxuary. i also have nixon 8 x 42 bins and they are just as good. really clear right to the edge of the sight picture with good light gathering ability.

hope this helps

regards pj

I have a Nikon Monarch on my hmr - excellent scope and highly recommended
    Virtutis Gloria Merces

The Monarch's are brilliant. I have a 3-12x42 on a .223 and it's not far behind the top end boyos.
    Great optics, good in low light, flat image and very little if any distortion. I find colours not just as vibrant as some german scopes but it's really sharp and a joy to use.
    Have since put a Fieldmaster 4-12 on my .22lr and it's brilliant as well. Wouldn't sell em.

Packages (assuming you mean new) are normally put together to maximise profit for seller, I'd reccomend good second hand stuff over a new package anytime. You've obviously influenced the calibre in the right direction (25-06), now do the lad a favour and find him a nice SH 8x56 or something.

I have a nikon monarch its pretty good but i would agree with gary on this one. One thing that was a prob with my nikon was that i couldnt mount it far enough back on my 243 and i had to crane my neck to get a sight picture. Its on a par optically with the vx111 I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Packages (assuming you mean new) are normally put together to maximise profit for seller, I'd reccomend good second hand stuff over a new package anytime. You've obviously influenced the calibre in the right direction (25-06), now do the lad a favour and find him a nice SH 8x56 or something.