Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engraving

engraving

if I wanted my floorplate engraved with before re-bluing.

a. would it show up properly post hot-blueing?
    b. any suggestions for something cool
    c. who could do it and what sort of costs are they, for say a 2cm X 2cm reasonably simple engraving

a) yes, as long as you avoid anything with very fine lines - as well as being filled by the process, they can be difficult to finish off to give a even appearance.

b) there are three basic choices: something related to the rifle (manufacturers name/logo/etc.), something decorative (I suggest hunting/wildlife related), or something personal to you (initials for example). The first two can, if done well, maintain or even increase the value, whereas the last will probably make it more difficult to sell (unless you can find someone with the same initials/wife's name ) . I once saw a Browning O/U engraved with the name and logo of the owner's telecoms company - please please don't do that.

c) text will probably be about £15 for the first letter and a couple of quid thereafter. Pictures/graphics will probably be about £30 for that size. The difficulty is that some places now won't do anything they haven't sold and you will obviously want to avoid sending it in the post if at all possible. I don't know anyone myself that does it in Valhalla but you might want to nip down to the forge and ask Völundr.
    Last edited by Knottaclu; 09-03-2012 at 16:18.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    PKL

My mate has several rifles of the same make in his cabinet. He had the calibre engraved and inlaid in gold on the respective baseplate. Classy and (relatively) inexpensive.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

sounds tremendous, any ideas who could do something like that

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    sounds tremendous, any ideas who could do something like that
    For the simpler (?) inlay work you might want to give your local gunshop a call. If they've got people who work in the "proper" guntrade they should know someone who could do this. Otherwise you're probably looking at a bespoke engraver.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

hi engraving is not a cheap thing to have done , once you get into the realms of gold in lay and i do mean gold not gold paint/filler is around 30-40 £`s a letter well it was around 6 years ago.
    Also dont just send your metal to anyone you must see examples of there work.

regard
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Also dont just send your metal to anyone you must see examples of there work.
    +1

Engraving is a one way process...

Check out Marcus hunt, done some knives for me, not cheap but most probable the best, and a real nice guy.

Andy Miles is a nice fella that does stunning work.
    Last edited by Grant.N; 10-03-2012 at 18:09.