Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of your browning x-bolt .243 stainless

What do you think of your browning x-bolt .243 stainless

For you guys who have one could you let me have your thoughts
    Browning x-bolt .243 stainless
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

I've got a stainless fluted one, x bolt that is! I'm very happy with. The safety system is good, better than my tikka. It's robust and made for the elements. If you want a pretty bit of wood then it's not that. Seems accurate, not as much as my tikka. Not shot much paper with it. Shot a few does and foxes over the winter and it puts the bullet where you put x hair, what more do you need. Had a vixen with cubs in the other night out to about 200. I use RWS 100g cone point. Not tried anything else.
    Last edited by purdeydog; 09-03-2012 at 15:13.

It got a good review in the latest BASC mag if that helps
    Cheers

OT

I had one. got rid of it. Hated the trigger. 3.5 pounds was the lowest it would go down to. I think the fluted barrels might go down to 3.1 lbs. If you are ok with that then it is a nice rifle. If like me you like a light pull 1.9 lbs then it will quickly annoy you.

Test the trigger before you buy.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

my 30-06 trigger is fine, that is after i adjusted it myself, which is very easy.
    cheers
    richard

But could you get it below 3lbs?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

All i can say is it is much lighter than it was, how do you check the pull, fishing scales and nylon i assume, out stalking tomorrow so i will try it when i get it out the cabinet.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    But could you get it below 3lbs?

Devon DS, yes a trigger scale is just that, wire hook that goes on to the trigger attached to a small spring scale.

Interested to hear your results because the last one i tried at the shop was 3.2 lbs at the lowest setting.

Why should the trigger ruin the gun for you ?
    It is possible to adjust it, but if you want it below 3lb you will need to either obtain a spring from the USA, or just cut the spring down.
    Mine after playing with the spring broke cleanly at 1lb 12 oz, it would then adjust from 1lb 8oz back up to 3lb ith just a twiddle on the screw.

Neil.