cammo or plain

dev237

hi All, this is my first post and a bit of a basic question i suppose, in the debate of clothing what do you guys recommend , i have got a range of ex army dpm clothing from my former life , smocks and trousers in normal dpm , multi terrain pattern, jack pyke realtree etc, also i have a set of deerhunter in plain brown, my mate swears it has to be camouflage or nothing but i am not convinced either way , both are fairly quiet and rustle free, i would say the dpm has the edge but not by much, all comments welcome,
thanks Dev.

I mix them up depending on where I am, what I am going after and what the weather is doing.

Dark green will cover most environments.

Dev like you I have a selection of clothing from a previous life that is sometimes suitable for stalking, however in my dotage I prefer to be warm and dry, so I rarely use it. Instead I use Swanndri, swazi, rivers west etc.
As for cam, I believe that it is for the human eye and does not make much difference to the beasts. Movement and smell are their warnings. I wear muted colours, hardley ever camoflage. The only thing I use is an old desert pattern smock, this is excellent in the dead grass, far better than the usual darker colours.
Final point, these days it is better to be seen by the public wearing more traditional stalking attire than be called in as a SAS wannabe/nutter wandering around in the woods. The police rarely have a sense of humour, where firearms are concerned.

I dont think it matters what colour your clothing is, i've got all sorts, DPM, real tree and lots of just plain green and brown clothing its field craft that counts, at the end of the day deer and most other animals see in monochrome so I doubt the colour or pattern really matters, sound, movement and smell are the main give aways.

On another note it seems to me that a lot of modern cammo types, real tree ect, only seem to suit one given type of environment, woodland, winter woodland, salt marsh ect and stick out like a sore thumb in places where the background doesn't match, also a lot of it seems very shiny to me, especially stuff from rivers west, and even the fleece stuff really reflects sunlight and can look white if it catches the sun.

There is also the thing about never washing your cammo stuff here as well, quite a lot of washing powders have UV reflective addatives to make your whites whiter than white, wash a pair of DPM trousers in Daz then put them under a UV light, a lot of animals can see into the UV spectrum even though they see in black and white so there isn't much point going into the woods head to toe in cammo if its glowing like a light bulb.

Sorry to waffle, but as Cooter says dark green or brown clothes and good field craft will cover almost everything.

Cheers
Hyperion

Edit for spelling mistakes :doh:

Last edited:
Went out last week end stalking in a plain green jacket as my real tree musto was making me too hot.
I got within 60y of 2 roe.(No presentable shot)

I have always believed any camo is better as the breakup of the patterns blend in better ,but wearing my Green german border patrol jacket made no odds ?

Slow movement is the key and cover the hands

green or brown trousers and a camo jacket gives a good tree effect, you dont need to spend hundreds of pounds, but make sure the trousers are comfy if walking long distances stalking, or take some savlon for after!

Comfort and warmth in mute colours is as good as anything else. I have a number of different bits but always seem to end up with green trousers and realtree jacket. You can take it off and look relatively normal if you have to pop into town or something afterwards!

I was out duck shooting one night, 3 of us had real tree/dpm, the other guy wore a navy coloured anorak which turned out to be the most concealed of all!!

Dev,

I don't think it makes much difference. If you move when they're looking at you, chances are they'll see you whatever you're wearing. Gloves and a mask are a good idea for novices and people prone to fidgeting (I am both) because hands and face are like little pink flags waving about while you glass and adjust your rifle etc. However, you'll hear of people who don't bother with either and still shoot plenty of deer.

My jackets and trousers are plain, but only so I can wear them on the odd driven day. If you've got the camo stuff already then wear it mate.

Cheers,

Bob

animals notice movement not colour i use dpm trousers and just drab colours on top personally i think camo is overrated

With foxes, pigeons, ducks etc I believe camo or drab colours are essential

I play cricket and once while waiting to bat so in full white pads saw three deer and was bet I couldn't stalk them. I got to within 50-60yards of them and watched them until a flurry of wickets meant I had to run back quickly. This proved to me that you do not need camo to stalk.

I do wear camo for two reasons, 1) to hide movement from unseen deer and 2) to keep me hidden from people!

Although I have a few different types of cammo and greens I think its more for our eyes than theirs, but as said earlier as long as muted and comfortable to wear not to mention quiet should be good enough for stalking....

Back