Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore Snakes

Bore Snakes

I've used a bore snake to clean my shot gun in the past and it seemed to work pretty well. Can anyone tell me how good they are when used to clean a rifle?

Thanks

Mark

They work the same, a very useful tool to have in the kit.

I know i'm gona getsome stick, but i only ever pull through with a bore snake - never scrub the barrel and it comes up better than a shiny thing thats been buffed with brasso

Though a word of warning. Make sure your get the bore specific snake for the calibre, i've heard people who have got the snake stuck in the bore and the only reason i can think is they're using the wrong size or cheap imitations and that can get expensive .

Scrun

i have one with the brush removed to shift the debris/powder residue - a bronze brush pulled through a fouled barrel will do nothing for accuracy.

Best thing to do with the boresnake is take it to your waste disposal container (bin), open same and deposit within.

Hate the darn things.

When shooting I carry one in my pocket as a useful back up to cleaning rods.atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    When shooting I carry one in my pocket as a useful back up to cleaning rods.atb Tim
    I used to, but then I thought - why. If I get an obstruction then how do I get the snake down the bore and if I haven't got an obstruction why would I want anything down the bore, because if I clean it it changes the point of impact ? Any other ideas

Scrun

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    I used to, but then I thought - why. If I get an obstruction then how do I get the snake down the bore and if I haven't got an obstruction why would I want anything down the bore, because if I clean it it changes the point of impact ? Any other ideas

Scrun
    A shooting friend demonstrated using a water reed to clear a mud blockage, the bore snake did the rest.atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    A shooting friend demonstrated using a water reed to clear a mud blockage, the bore snake did the rest.atb Tim
    Do I have to carry a water reed too Do i need the special trousers to carry it in ?

to the resourcefulness tho - mmmmmm might have to start carrying it again

Scrun

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Do I have to carry a water reed too Do i need the special trousers to carry it in ?

to the resourcefulness tho - mmmmmm might have to start carrying it again

Scrun
    Well yes you could, if you can't find a suitable one in the wild