Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just an idea.......

Just an idea.......

One day this week my Mrs came back from shopping and in the bag were some Ainsley Harriet, Broccoli and Stilton cup a soups.
    When you make one in a mug they taste great, they`re not watery and they are filling.
    I`m thinking "Hello, 3 or 4 of them made up in the slow cooker with some Venison steaks and dumplings. (or mashed potato) and fresh veg of your own choosing.
    What say the experimenters on here??
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

sounds like a plan

What a thing to do to venison! I am enjoying a pair of 3/4" thick, pan seared mule deer steaks as I write this. Can't get past the marvelous flavor my main course to see stewing good steaks in soup mix. At least not at the moment....

...maybe tomorrow it will appeal to me. ~Muir

Oh no Muir, the flavour of Stilton goes well with Venison. Next time you are feeling adventureous try this.. On a piece of foil lay out some smoked bacon, lay a venison steak on that then break up some Stilton over it. Fold the bacon over then wrap it loosely in the foil. In the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on medium heat. It`s a flavour to die for.
    A good quality soup reduces to a more sauce type liquid. Rabbit caseroled in tomato soup is another favourite. Experiment, you may get to like it..
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Ok. You convinced me (it wasn't a long road) to try it. Anything involving venison, bacon, and cheese can't be all bad. Last night tho, I was in the grips of venison fever: seared and rare. It was hard to imagine anything better! Last week I made a venison and green chili stew with fresh Hatch (New Mexico) chili's I froze last fall. Amazing. Coarsely portioned (chunky) but flavorful with a hint of heat. I made some fresh buttermilk biscuits to go with it. Delicious.

Keep'em coming. I eat venison almost exclusively when I eat red meat; perhaps 3-4 days per week. As long as it doesn't involve reducing red wine and currents for a sauce, I'll give it a try!~Muir

[QUOTE=Muir;341472]What a thing to do to venison! I am enjoying a pair of 3/4" thick, pan seared mule deer steaks as I write this. Can't get past the marvelous flavor my main course to see stewing good steaks in soup mix. At least not at the moment....

...maybe tomorrow it will appeal to me. ~Muir[/QUOTE
    Ditto

I`m giving it a go at the weekend .. watch this space..

I've just been reading a book with sausage recipes in and it says venison and stilton is an amazing combination.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I've just been reading a book with sausage recipes in and it says venison and stilton is an amazing combination.
    I rest my case ......................