Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many rounds to "dirty" a barrel

how many rounds to "dirty" a barrel

having only had my rifle since christmas its all still quite new to me but i tend to clean it after maybe a box(20) or so of ammunition has passed through it. after cleaning it normally takes a couple of rounds before it groups as usual but today it took about 15 rounds before it started tightening up. the first few rounds are normally fairly close to point of aim but today they were all over the shop. anything to worry about etc? cheers guys

Ziggy,

"The first few rounds". So how many did you fire (warming up the sporting barrel) before you gave up?

Stan

On my stalking rifle, I usually oil the bore when I put the rifle away, but clean it thoroughly to remove copper and carbon after about 25 shots. However, I always make sure to remove any oil from the bore by using a dry patch and then a lighter fluid soaked patch before shooting. This will evaporate quite quickly and not leave a residue in the bore.

On a lightweight sporter barrel, you may have to wait for a few minutes after firing a couple or three shots to allow the barrel to cool. I had a lightweight barrelled ,270 that would consistently put two quick shots through the same hole, but never a third or thereafter. Once the barrel cooled, same again, two shots very tight together but no more.

Since the rifle is fairly new, just make sure none of the action or scope screws has come loose.

Hope that helps

i wasnt shooting quickly today, i would put 3 -5 shots through and then wait anything upto maybe 10 minutes before going again but i have had the rifle stupidly hot before when i got carried away and it still put them all together. it is a sporting barrel your right(sako 75 .308) but it just seemed to take a lot of shots before it tightened up and the first maybe 15 were all over a piece of a4 paper and then they were all touching and as normal. just going to check the screws now, thanks for the replies guys

Ziggy,

So they "tightened up" to normal after 15 rounds? Then don't clean so much or so often.

I put about 100 rounds through mine stalking each year. I clean it once, though I'm not sure it really needs it.

I'll pull through with a boresnake after a bad weather trip though and have a Napier VP 90 patch in my slip and safe.

Stan

Stan

ok cheers stan....i think its going to have to be that way. im just a bit of a clean freak with my toys though so will maybe have to sit on my hands haha. thanks for the reply. yeah and then it was 5 shots in about an inch which is about normal, it does go tighter if someone with ability is behind it though. thanks again, its appreciated

Also check all screws are still tight. Something might be working a bit loose. That's probably part of the bedding in process if the rifle is quite new.

sorry i should clarify......the rifle isnt new i got it secondhand at christmas but i think it had only had about 100 rounds through it then and its maybe upto 300 now, myself having put about 200 through it.

After cleaning, which I dont do very often other than a few dry patches........put a patch soaked in meths through it. That will remove any oil residue left in the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    sorry i should clarify......the rifle isnt new i got it secondhand at christmas but i think it had only had about 100 rounds through it then and its maybe upto 300 now, myself having put about 200 through it.
    BDS do a DVD on rifle care , that will put you right , i would check all the screws , check the barrels not touching the stock , deep clean the barrel and start the whole shooting in process from the start