Crufts.

RED-DOT

I hear five "best in breed" have been disqualified for failing the vet check after they were awarded the win... The Kennel Club have been encouraging the breeding of monsters for years with some dogs being unable to walk and some suffocating in later life due to nasal restrictions. The KC makes ££millions in fees and membership charges and £14 admission to Crufts now they want to be seen as the good guys.
P.S. The Chessie should have won the Gundog class by miles but they gave it to a spaniel that couldn't see for its fringe.

Last edited:
Better late than never though I guess. It's still a shame than many of the gundog breeds look nothing like the true working gundogs that you see out in the field and that they're supposed to represent. I doubt that the ESS winner could have done 10 minutes work let alone a full day.

I thought those in the Gundog section HAD to be working dogs?, the only work that Spaniel knows is going to the grooming parlour.
Be interesting to see if they pick a proper dog for best in show, or a flippin handbag accessory

I'm watching it now and finding it very painfull indeed watching them trying to rebuild the reputation of both crufts and the KC when it is blatantly obvious that the KC and non-working dog breeders still breed rubbish/genetically messed up dogs

Cheers
Hyperion

My bet is for a Pomeranian this year as a gundog won it last year. The KC need to keep the powder-puff brigade interested.

Munckin3-334x345.jpg

Red-Dot, I usually enjoy your posts because you write well and seem to know what you are talking about, but I guess this thread is the exception that proves the rule. The KC have a lot to answer for, some of the breeds are monsters and the selective breeding to conform to unnatural and unhealthy breed standards is indefensible and wrong, but that does not really apply to any dogs in the gun dog class.

The Irish water spaniel is a great working dog that we in the Sporting Irish Water Spaniel Cub are working really hard to promote and increase their numbers in all aspects of shooting. The 'fringe" is not an issue.

Check out our website at

The Sporting Irish Water Spaniel Club

you may learn something :)

We are all biased toward Gundogs and some may never see a deer fence never mind jump one but i do now admit that IWS looks nice and i hope it goes on to win... are we pals again Neil?

Nice looking poodle on the front cover of your site mate but it will not win anything unless you get it the lion cut. :rofl: Sorry couldn't help my self neil.

We never fell out, but my dogs wants you to join them for a swim as a penance (check out the ice) :)

Cov_Canal_Jan_2011_NHR5055.jpg

Neil... i have never seen one in the flesh but i'm up for a water race with one of my Chessies if you want?
I really hope he wins tonight but my worries are leaning towards a Lhasa or Pom??

The kc and show dog breeders really do have a lot to answer for having watched the recent bbc program 3 years on really shows not a lot has changed in this time most show bred dogs really are shocking looking,look at the difference in the working English springer spaniel compared to a show bred one they are barely recognisable as the same breed and this is the case for many working breeds isn't it....

that labrador that placed second didnt look like it had ever seen a field,fat as a pot belly pig,i thought the irish was the right choice and that american cocker was always going to be close

There are classes in the Gundog Group that are only open to working dogs, but to be honest, walking around last friday i saw some sights :) I could not do with all the preening and fussing that goes on. Mind you its not just the dogs that need help, some of the owners are in a worse state than their dogs.

Crufts_2012_011.jpg

Crufts_2012_012.jpg

In the last thirty years we have had to debate ' should BFSS now Countryside Alliance, amalgamate with BASC. Should there now be a debate to split from the show and breeding sections of the Kennel Club ? I know most of their income is from show sections so where would that leave us working dog sections and the fat cat salaries these guys seem to command ?

There are classes in the Gundog Group that are only open to working dogs, but to be honest, walking around last friday i saw some sights :) I could not do with all the preening and fussing that goes on. Mind you its not just the dogs that need help, some of the owners are in a worse state than their dogs.

Crufts_2012_011.jpg

Crufts_2012_012.jpg

That looks like a Brittany so I'm not surprised the owner is needing a kip, they're like a box of frogs those things.

I took a few of my gamekeeping students to Crufts this year. We spent very little time in the main ring but had a great time chatting to the gundog breed clubs in "Discover Dogs". Some really hard work going on to promote the so-called minority breeds, I was very impressed.

Back