Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match bullets VS Hunting bullets.

Match bullets VS Hunting bullets.

I had some fun with the milling machine yesterday. I sectioned these two 6.5mm bullets. The HP is the superbly accurate PPU 120 grain BTHP, the lead tip is a Hornady 129 grain Interlock. The photo isn't the best, but you can see the relative jacket thicknesses. I noted that the PPU has a slightly thicker base but otherwise, the thicknesses appear to be comparable. What isn't evident in the photo is that the "interlock" feature is the barest of infringement into the core by the jacket. It's almost imperceptible even when the bullet is under magnification. The other thing that isn't evident by any scrutiny is the hardness of the jacket. The Hornady bullet has the much tougher skin as evidenced by the way the mill cut into it. The PPU was much softer.

That said, the PPU will shoot a half-inch from my FN. Maybe it was a bad day for me but my first attempts with the Interlocks ( 47.0 IMR 7828) gave groups that seemed to want to achieve greatness but ended up just over an inch. I write it off to too much jangle juice (caffeine) that morning.~Muir

Andy, you are inviting the re- opening of the A max discussion with this one!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Andy, you are inviting the re- opening of the A max discussion with this one!!!!

Talking of which .... do you fancy sectioning an .308 155gr A-Max Muir? And perhaps a few ballistic tips?

It's been done mate, I think possibly by Tahr. If I can mix my metaphors let sleeping dogs lie and don't mention the elephant in the room.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Nope. I was just showing what I did whilst waiting for the clothes dryer to finish the last cycle. I haven't paid too much attention to the A-Max/V-Max debate but clearly, if a bullet is labeled for "match" or "varmint" shooting it must be considered second-fiddle for deer hunting. In the bullets I cut, it isn't the general construction that would make the PPU less than suitable for deer, it's the softer (albeit, a little thicker) jacket material. I don't subscribe to the need for mechanically bonded bullets -and the Interlock, surprisingly, had almost none- so jacket strength seems paramount. To me at least.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    It's been done mate, I think possibly by Tahr. If I can mix my metaphors let sleeping dogs lie and don't mention the elephant in the room.

If other people get hot under the collar when an A-max is mentioned then thats thier problem! I am not the type to deliberately antagonise but I don't think anyone should have to tiptoe around a topic because of a those people.

If anyone can give me a link that would be great thanks.

I would love to find the actual link for you Tackleberry but doing a simple search on A-Max bullets produces so many results that it would take hours to sift through all the postings. As you will have already gathered this subject has come up more than once in the past and for some reason many people seem to have extremely strong and entrenched opinions on the subject and within two or three postings things start to get more than a little hot under the collar. Hence the suggestion that perhaps it's better not to reignite the flames.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

A-MAX® NOW featuring AMP™ bullet jackets!

Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

• Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
    • Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
    • These bullets are not recommended for hunting.

Like I said, I haven't been following the discussions but doesn't this say it all?~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    A-MAX® NOW featuring AMP™ bullet jackets!

Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

• Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
    • Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
    • These bullets are not recommended for hunting.
    Like I said, I haven't been following the discussions but doesn't this say it all?~Muir
    A-max "expand"???

Wow!

Lucky that's not what they're "designed" to do.