Salt licks

clivecleaver

I know I am probably mentioning something that most all ready know but I just wanted to share some useful information.

I have a large wood on the estate I manage the deer, with a large population of Fallow. I had read that Fallow love mineral/salt licks so I looked on the usual stalking websites to see what was on offer. When I saw the price I thought they could stick with value brands!! I.e. sheep salt licks from the Agri man!!

They worked a treat they love them and they were a lot cheaper!! I placed them on some ancient oak stumps and whether there is salt there or not they come and lick the stumps. They did not work so well with the Roe, but you cant have everything!!!

roe

Roe dont take any feeding from man as a rule.

Try putting treacle on the salt licks for Roe, It works until the rani washes it off.

I did the same, but used Rockies and the muntjac and fallow just can't have enough. I place a few around rides and regularly go back to check for signs of activity. They are being used very regularly. A long time stalker told me that better still is to get a bucket or tray with holes on the bottom and place it on top of a tree stum. The deer will first come for the salt pellets or blocks, but as the salt is washed off by the rain onto the tree stump, they will be returning forever. This is what I am going to do next, as soon as the stock I have out there is consumed by the deer and rain. Worth a try. By the way, I use the red bricks and they seem to work best. Tried the mint flavoured ones and they are not so keen.

Licks

I used the red rockies as well.

you even get apple flavoured ones. I got the holders and put onto stabs so the salt runs down them. I have no mature trees in this wee plantation so no stumps.

Might take some treacle out fot them tomorrow as the waether is poor.

Re: roe

dieseldan said:
Roe dont take any feeding from man as a rule.

Try putting treacle on the salt licks for Roe, It works until the rani washes it off.

I was thinking of using them for the Red of Fallow but if the Muntjac are interested so be it! I love Muntjac stalking! Can't see the Roe showing any interest though I suppose it might be worth a try? ;)
Black treacle on normal?

Or get some molasses (spelling?) in a 1 gallon plastic container from any agricultural supplier (about £5 around here) or someone who supplies to people with horses and ponies and put it on the salt blocks to get them started licking them.

Actually, anything you put molasses on will be eaten by the deer. I discovered this when some molasses ran over the salt and onto the stump the salt was sitting on. When I came back a few days later the salt was still there but the stump was gone. Honest.

For fallow have you ever noticed the rumen/reticulem always has plastic in when you gralloch them and if you see old shotgun cases in a fallow wood, the deer have chewed them all.

I know of a bit of barbed wire fence wrapped in fertiliser sack, often find a fallow there chewing it! Cheaper than salt!

i got the salt from country wide farmers which is a chain of agricultural suppliers down in the west country.

i have put out some molasses this mourning so fingers crossed!!!!

clivecleaver said:
i got the salt from country wide farmers which is a chain of agricultural suppliers down in the west country.

That's what I do and it seems to work well for the Fallow and Muntjac. I put it on a post so that it runds down the sides when it rains.

Except I got mine from here: http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/

They do the proper salt licks too, but I just buy the bags of lump salt and a 5 litre drum of molasses.

Little Terry said:
clivecleaver said:

That's what I do and it seems to work well for the Fallow and Muntjac. I put it on a post so that it runds down the sides when it rains.

They do the proper salt licks too, but I just buy the bags of lump salt and a 5 litre drum of molasses.

little terry
you might want to try just a bale of hay in a feed site and drip some molases all over that
that seems to work well on fallow and reds too, for those that hav reds

stone said:
Little Terry said:
clivecleaver said:

little terry
you might want to try just a bale of hay in a feed site and drip some molases all over that
that seems to work well on fallow and reds too, for those that hav reds

Cheers Stone - good idea, I'll give it a whirl! Can't hurt in these times of colder weather I suppose!

I had great success with the feeding sites including the Molasses the little munites seemed to home in on the smell from miles around.

I also used some of our cattle mix which included beans and they loved them, Roe also seemed to hover up the mix.

I had great success with the feeding sites including the Molasses the little munites seemed to home in on the smell from miles around.

I also used some of our cattle mix which included beans and they loved them, Roe also seemed to hover up the mix.

Back