Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Breeds

Cross Breeds

Hi,
    I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is a Spaniel trialler. I asked him a question and I will pose the same one here as I think it is relevent.

If you cross a Jack Russell Terrier to a Patterdale Terrier do you still end up with a terrier?

If you cross a springer spaniel to a cocker spaniel do you still end up with a spaniel?

If you cross a Hungarian Vizsla to a GWP do you still end up with a HPR dog?

Yes technically I know its 3 questions but it should create an interesting debate

Ian

Answer to the first 2 questions is yes
    I would guess the answer to the last one was also yes
    Regards
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Hi,
    thanks for the first reply. So what I should say is that given the recent interest in genetic diversity and given that afterall we are only really interested in having dogs capable of doing a job of work why do people get so precious about KC registration, purity of bloodlines etc, etc?

There are loads of successful Springer / Cocker (Sprocker) crosses working in the field.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Yes but not sure why you would do it to be honest.

Surely the health of our dogs would be the primary reason. Admitedly those who measure dogs in paperwork may not appreciate it but those who judge a dog on merit would be aware of why it had been done.

1&2 - they both work in a different style, patterdale bred to close with quarry and work it hard (not same as being hard), Russels, as apposed to white lakelands to bay at fox to make bolt.
    Cockers hunt like stoats, springers have their style

As for the GWP X visla, that is how they got WHV I am led to believe

Ok, but its not like crossing a terrier to a retriever or a retriever to a sight hound or a spaniel to a toy dog. If you look at the traits of each cross I have mentioned they are roughly similar for a similar purpose.

When watching Pedigree dogs exposed the other week they talked aboput crossing what I recall was a pointer to a Dalmation to eradicate a problem with uric acid.

It is my opinion that most breeds could do with a healthy dose of outcrossing. If you look at the KC breed standard for each breed then are based on structure and appearance. No point having the most beutiful example of your breed if it does not have the brain nor the desire to match.

Ian

[QUOTE=Briarquest;343304]Ok, but its not like crossing a terrier to a retriever or a retriever to a sight hound or a spaniel to a toy dog. If you look at the traits of each cross I have mentioned they are roughly similar for a similar purpose.

When watching Pedigree dogs exposed the other week they talked aboput crossing what I recall was a pointer to a Dalmation to eradicate a problem with uric acid.

It is my opinion that most breeds could do with a healthy dose of outcrossing. If you look at the KC breed standard for each breed then are based on structure and appearance. No point having the most beutiful example of your breed if it does not have the brain nor the desire to match.

Ian

no harm in crossing dogs for health reasons, however imo they may be an unpredictability with how they work. I have heard some great feedback of gwp X labs

Until somewhere around the turn of 20th century, Springers were one breed. The smaller dogs were used for flushing woodcock hence "cocker" and the larger (taller) ones were used for flushing in long undergrowth. Anyone who knows the breed will know they jump or "spring" to see over cover, hence springer.

They are genetically the same but (unfortunately) now recognised by the KC as 2 separate breeds.

I am the owner of a cocker size KC pedigree springer- go figure!

As far as I am concerned a sprocker only seeks to enrich the gene pool, but the prats at the KC won't recognise a sprocker. How stupid is that!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian