Complete kit list?

Daemo

Hi guys

Im getting my kit next week - and the list I have compiled is huge!

In your valued opinions is there anything ive missed, or anything I should leave out? - please tell me something to leave out otherwise i'll go bankrupt!!!

Rifle
Scope
Flip up covers
Mod cover
Sling
Gun Slip
Bipod
Shooting sticks
Carcass tray for the car
Rifle cleaning kit
Optics cleaning kit
Bino's
Roe sack
Lee Anniversary Kit
Lee Zip trim
Length gage and shell holder
Die set
Electronic scales
Bullets
Cases
Primers
Powder

What started as a rifle, scope and mod has suddenly become the shopping list from hell!

I know I can leave some of the kit for later, but figure I will need it so might as well get it all now - unless you tell me different.

Cheers

Daemon

ps - how excited am I!

:D

Funny, it makes me hanker for the days when I had a rifle with a scope and that was it!

You'll need a good knife. A Frosts Clipper will do the job, is cheap as chips and very easy to keep a razor edge on.

Oh, and have fun choosing! There'll be some impoverished retailer rubbing his hands as we speak!

It's also a good idea to have a checklist to look at before you go out stalking - in brief : Rifle (+bolt!), ammo,sticks binos,rangefinder? plastic bags for liver & kidneys, knife,disposable gloves,a hat in this weather, maybe a roe sack or a shoulder strap for carcass carrying.
I'm sure there are other optional things to take out with you.

If buying the lee kit - the deluxe dies have full length & neck sizing dies, it will cost a bit more if you try to buy them separately. I know I did!!

Daemo, that's a fair list, don't forget the larder kit- you're hopefully going to have some venison to prepare :) :) Cheers, Pete.
PS you could always leave the mod-cover off the list, that might help ;) ;)

advice

Bored this afternoon so here goes

KNIFE :eek: and disposable latex gloves

Rifle
Scope
Flip up covers - not crucial and I break loads when foxing
Mod cover - not very important can be a pain
Sling - try a few some "sit" much better than others
Gun Slip - make sure you buy with rifle and mod present, my first one was too short - doh!!
Bipod - pay extra for swivel ones - well worth it
Shooting sticks - get some toothpicks and twine - see other posts :evil:
Carcass tray for the car - definately for later
Rifle cleaning kit
Optics cleaning kit - get one free by negotiating when buying kit. They often have freebies from optics companies
Bino's
Roe sack - or drag (if you get a wooden stock then the roe sakc buckles can scratch hell out of it) a drag can be more practical although you will need a sack to carry this lot :D
Lee Anniversary Kit - what is? :eek: perhaps I need one!!
Lee Zip trim - what is? :eek:
Die set
Electronic scales
Bullets - and pouch- not cammo incase you drop it!
Cases - do the maths before you set of down reloading route. I am luck to shoot 150 rounds per year factory bullets are fine for me. If you fancy reloading then great.
Primers
Powder

Now lets see hoe little I know cos everyone has a different opinion.

Oh and get your divorce papers and solicitor sorted out, saves time for later!!

Kit

Good call for the disposable gloves and bullet pouch, i'll add them to the never ending list...

Regarding reloading, at £25.00 per 20 rounds factory ammo - I think buying the reloading kit will pay for itself very quickly, and hey - im sad enough to get into reloading as a hobby!

Daemon

:confused:

Re: Kit

Daemo said:
Good call for the disposable gloves and bullet pouch, i'll add them to the never ending list...

Regarding reloading, at £25.00 per 20 rounds factory ammo - I think buying the reloading kit will pay for itself very quickly, and hey - im sad enough to get into reloading as a hobby!
Daemon
:confused:

I'd recommend you leave the reloading kit for now and stick to using factory ammo untill you know your rifle/scope/mod is reliable and fuctioning properly.

If you start reloading with a new rifle & scope and have problems, you won't know where the problem is...

With a new rifle, I always start with a quality factory ammo so I have a baseline for its performance, and then when I'm happy, start working on a new load for it.....

Regards,

Peter

Daemo

We talked about some of this before in the thread "Stalking Vehicle: What Do You Carry?". As well as latex gloves I carry some baby wipes to clean the knife in between grallochs. Also some plastic food bags for (a) carrying the pluck, and (b) holding all the cr*p - dirty gloves, used wipes, etc.

Regarding the check list, from experience I always recite the 5 B's before I go stalking:

Binos, Bullets, Bolt, Banger (rifle), Bipod (sticks)

Saved me a few times from a long drive with nothing but swearing at the end ;)

The other thing I carry is my Buttolo roe call - handy for stopping a beast as well as luring in muntjac :D

willie_gunn

Have you won the lottery?
How about some stalking to go at for when you get this new kit!
On a more boring note, having attended many a farm health and safety course it is now recommended that latex gloves are not used due to a build up of something that will eventually lead to the creation of an allergie to latex, also the powder is not supposed to be too good for you either. It is recommended that nitrile none powdered gloves are used.

Whoa,

slow down a little bit. If you are trying to save money

Rifle
Scope
Flip up covers - not required, scope will come with a form of covers.
Mod cover - not required unless firig loads of rounds.
Sling
Gun Slip
Bipod - depending on your stalking, not required.
Shooting sticks - It is not necessary to have sticks and bipod, choose 1
Carcass tray for the car - use the roe sack, or a poly sheet.
Rifle cleaning kit
Optics cleaning kit - not requied, use lens cloth that is supplied, if not get one from specsavers or equivalent.
Bino's
Roe sack
Lee Anniversary Kit - dont get this, get the lee cast for about 75-85 quid.
Lee Zip trim - not required, get the cutter to go with the lee length gauge.
Die set
Electronic scales - how expensive, if it is an rcbs or lyman - again not required, get a rcbs or equivalent balance scale (ot the lee one)
Bullets
Cases - buy lapua, it makes sense in the short and long term.
Primers
Powder

Really,

all you need is a rifle set up, a knife and depending on your ground and the access a roe sack. Oh, and binoculars.

Keep it simple at the start.

J

Stalking

Hi Amhuinnsuidhe

No, unfortunately ive not won the lottery - one look at the 15 year old wreck I drive gives it away!

Its going to be painful paying for this lot and will empty the bank account, but I love my hunting so its worth it. The money was going to buy a newer motor, but the jalopy will last another year.

Good advise about nitrile gloves, I have a couple of pairs handy so at least thats something I don't need to buy!

As for stalking, well im off to the range first to get some confidence in the new gun, then ive commited to a few days of predator control on my permission.

But.......i'll be looking to be out stalking at the end of this month - I can't wait - ive not organised it yet but with some artful haggling on the kit list I can just about afford it.

Funnily enough, shopping around for these items reveals some big differences in prices, I think now might be a good time to buy anyway - most places seem happy to discount, there really isn't a lot of money out there at the moment.

Daemon

daemo your list looks fine mate but i totally agree with
pete e start with factory ammo get to know your rifle
set up etc enjoy your stalking and all the new kit
and get into the reloading a bit later on .

Reloading

Pete E, Roedinator and everyone else

Thanks for the advice.

I'll leave the reloading kit for the future.

Still a bloody big list though!

Daemon

A torch. I use two, ones a small surefire thats nice and small for the pocket. The second is a headtorch which is very handy when you want both hands free. Sorry to add to the list ;)

Given the weather at the moment mate GLOVES... you'll need to keep that trigger finger warm!

Gez

Back