Best way to dispatch large domestic ducks?

PointBlank

Just wondered if anyone has any advice for the best way to dispatch large domestic ducks (Aylesburys) for the table. I have done about a dozen over time with different techniques but I am never quite convinced that I manage it is cleanly as I'd like.

Anyone got any suggestions or preferences?

Hung upside down by its legs so that it's head is at about chest height, gather its wings around its front and hold then get an assistant to pull its neck. Wait for it to stop twitching and it's the perfect height for plucking.

Last edited:
Traffic cone with the pointed bit cut off to form an opening for the head . Thread rope through the base to suspend , Place bird in, neck sticks through then slit its throat and drain into a bucket .The cone holds the bird in place and no mess .....

Now il sit back and wait for the backlash .

I didn't see the OP mention he wanted the ducks Halal? Why wouldn't you just use that method but just pull its neck, gotta be less mess involved?

no 1 find a suitable rail beam etc preferabbly with a six inch nail sticking out or bang some in
no 2 catch duck / goose / chicken / whatever
no 3 put length of baler twine / string looped around feet likr you would a brace of pheasants heads
n0 4 hang up on your six inch nail from your rail / beam
no 5 find a suitable piece of wood / metal / or priest
no 6 smack it across the back of the head to stun it
no 7 slit throat to bleed it and let cool off

ps I like the idea of the cone mentioned to stop it flapping about

regards pete .

no 1 find a suitable rail beam etc preferabbly with a six inch nail sticking out or bang some in
no 2 catch duck / goose / chicken / whatever
no 3 put length of baler twine / string looped around feet likr you would a brace of pheasants heads
n0 4 hang up on your six inch nail from your rail / beam
no 5 find a suitable piece of wood / metal / or priest
no 6 smack it across the back of the head to stun it
no 7 slit throat to bleed it and let cool off

ps I like the idea of the cone mentioned to stop it flapping about

regards pete .

Sounds good, might try that next time

Why? It's not going far ;)
Normally at least one circuit sometimes two with blood being splashed all over the place or am I thinking of geese.
My Father had a piece of flat iron with a 'V' shaped hook screwed to an old telegraph pole which was used for Turkeys and Geese.
He used to do hundreds every Christmas so had a bit of a 'chain gang' to help him - us kids :D

Last edited:
Back