Thread: Treating internal steel components

Treating internal steel components

Boys and girls,

as you may or may not know (reasonably irrelevant of course), I'm in the process of restoring a rifle. I've had to strip all the metal parts down to bare polished steel, which I've done to such a fine degree with up to 1200 grit, felt and polishing wheels, it is like a mirror (A LOT of work, yes, but looks spectacular!), of course, it's not a stainless steel rifle, nor should it ever look like one, so it will be reblued again. I posted about maybe having a simple engraving on the floorplate, and thank you all for your responses and ideas.

Here's the next question then:
    Clearly, a blued rifle will still rust when damp and/or wet. so how would you recommend treating the internal components of the action and trigger, sears, etc. etc. and the receiver raceway. I am afraid if I blue the parts as well, they will quickly wear it off and may rust, as would they just left polished of course. I'm not certain how long a ptfe based application will last either. are these parts best treated in a duracoat style material or bead blasted, or just left blued?

any ideas from the experienced minds out there is greatly appreciated.

Cerakote is a very good coating to use on metal parts. Bluing looks nice but like you say it can rust, the key obviously is to keep it wiped over with and oily rag everytime to get rid of water spots and finger marks as they carry salt!

PKL,
    Internal parts of most firearms over the years have usually been left in the white, blued or colour case hardened, in the white being the most common in my opinion.
    These parts have relied on regular maintenance to keep corrosion at bay.
    Simple heat bluing is a good way to get an oxide coat on components but not good for anything case hardened or with hardened bearing surfaces.

Ian.

I am having mine recoated with a teflon coating by Russell Gall at RG Rifles, give him a call. russell@rgrifles.com

your rifles or the internal action and trigger components, springs, sears, etc.? I'm not keen on teflon on the outside of the receive or barrel, is that what you are referring to?

peter I plan on blueing it all, inside and out. I quite like the idea of a fully blued action

IMO only way you can keep corrosion at bay completely is keep the water out.
    any load bearing surface no matter how well protected will wear off the blue at some point so I will just make sure i strip this one as often as the others to keep clean, dry and lightly oiled.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    peter I plan on blueing it all, inside and out. I quite like the idea of a fully blued action

IMO only way you can keep corrosion at bay completely is keep the water out.
    any load bearing surface no matter how well protected will wear off the blue at some point so I will just make sure i strip this one as often as the others to keep clean, dry and lightly oiled.
    I was thinking along your lines too mate :-)

not taken the plunge on the blueing yet then? I'm very curious how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I was thinking along your lines too mate :-)

not taken the plunge on the blueing yet then? I'm very curious how you get on
    struck down in my prime with pneumonia of all things.
    my boiler (for the blueing) sprung a leak and I havent managed to get round to plugging the leak.
    once that is done I just need to test the potion on some scrap before I plunge my pride and joy in there.

will let you know