Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blaser reload

Blaser reload

Fellas I'm sure I have read on a thread about reloading for a Blaser stating that you need to full length size and not neck size any reason for this? Is this a Blaser thing? Any info would be usefull as purchased a Blaser last year and I'm starting to reload for this rifle
    Regards. Chris

if you dont full length size it can (after a number of reloads) prevent the bolt fully closing as the cases stretch, and as such, the weapon will not fire.
    as blasers are "harmonic neutral and have floating bolt head", there is no accuracy benefit from neck sizing (just my opinion).
    with full lenth sizing, this phenonemum can occur if dies are not set to knock shoulder back also.

When I started reloading for my Blaser I neck sized and soon ran into problems with the bolt not locking, once I had my full length die set up properly the problem disappeared.atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    if you dont full length size it can (after a number of reloads) prevent the bolt fully closing as the cases stretch, and as such, the weapon will not fire.
    as blasers are "harmonic neutral and have floating bolt head", there is no accuracy benefit from neck sizing (just my opinion).
    with full lenth sizing, this phenonemum can occur if dies are not set to knock shoulder back also.
    Huh?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Huh?~Muir
    ok, allow me to elaborate...

because of the blasers unique construction, it takes very little input from the shooter, the barrel is free floating (not unusual) and the chamber is supported directly onto the bedding block. there is no action, or recoil lug (which is major contributor to inaccuracy in rifles like remmy 700's).

the chambers are cut to target rifle accuracy in terms of run out, and the bolt head is floating and grips/pushes more tightly (in a self levelling sort of way) as the rifle is fired. there is no benefit from having a fire formed, neck sized case, as the rifle "sorts itself out" every time it is fired.

you can hold them in different ways, right handed, left handed, off hand, bipod, bags, sticks whatever - the poi NEVER changes. they generally give 0.3 moa accuracy or better with most ammunition.

conventional high quality turnbolt actioned rifles, with tuned high quality/consistent/concentric ammo can produce better accuracy, but can also be less consistent between users and shooting positions.

now if that aint the truth am i lieing?

I neck size for my Blaser with no problems.

Or more correctly with no problems now, when I started out doing it I had problems because of what turned out to be a faulty die.

I have never had a round fail to chamber and some of my brass has gone quite a few loads before I have decided to full length size again. I had been full length sizing once in a while because of reported problems but have sort of stopped doing this now just because I've never had a problem. Some time back I did have one reload which I thought was a little more difficult to chamber than the others but this was just a "feeling" and I could find no evidence that it was down to a size problem nor have I seen any repeat of it. My loads are certainly giving good velocity and my brass has been reloaded a considerable number of times.

I use a Lee Collet die and most of my reasoning for neck sizing is to save messing about with cleaning lube off the cases, I'm lazy like that and just hated doing it. I can't say it gives any difference in accuracy over full length sizing and to be honest most factory ammo will shoot as well as my reloads.

Thanks guys for the info, I think I will full length too start with and see how it goes
    Regards Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    ok, allow me to elaborate...

because of the blasers unique construction, it takes very little input from the shooter, the barrel is free floating (not unusual) and the chamber is supported directly onto the bedding block. there is no action, or recoil lug (which is major contributor to inaccuracy in rifles like remmy 700's).

the chambers are cut to target rifle accuracy in terms of run out, and the bolt head is floating and grips/pushes more tightly (in a self levelling sort of way) as the rifle is fired. there is no benefit from having a fire formed, neck sized case, as the rifle "sorts itself out" every time it is fired.

you can hold them in different ways, right handed, left handed, off hand, bipod, bags, sticks whatever - the poi NEVER changes. they generally give 0.3 moa accuracy or better with most ammunition.

conventional high quality turnbolt actioned rifles, with tuned high quality/consistent/concentric ammo can produce better accuracy, but can also be less consistent between users and shooting positions.

now if that aint the truth am i lieing?
    I'm certain you are a Pillar of Virtue when it comes to Blasers, and I have almost zero experience with them. The bit in quotation marks just seemed a little touchy-feely to me.~Muir

I shoot 22.250 (Remington brass) and 6.5 x55 (Lapua brass) in Blaser . When the brass was new I full lengthed it, then just neck size it for 4 or 5 firings then full length again - well, that is what I used to do, now I have worked out what is the optimum shoulder datum for a perfect fit and use my shoulder body dies to keep it at that measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    I shoot 22.250 (Remington brass) and 6.5 x55 (Lapua brass) in Blaser . When the brass was new I full lengthed it, then just neck size it for 4 or 5 firings then full length again - well, that is what I used to do, now I have worked out what is the optimum shoulder datum for a perfect fit and use my shoulder body dies to keep it at that measurement.
    I agree, I found that to get my reloads to perform consistently I had to set the shoulder dies to press the shoulder back by about 2 thou from the fired length.atb Tim