Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe deer numbers in England

Roe deer numbers in England

Hi all,

Following a conversation with someone who sits on a board that decides deer management policies in England and Wales, can anyone give me their opinion on the following points discussed in a recent meeting:

1- in general are roe numbers lower than the past few years?

If so is this due to:

A- the extension of the doe season into march?

B- illegal poaching?

C- higher carcass prices over the last few seasons resulting in more deer being shot?

D- estate/farm employees shooting deer at night without permission from the owner and pocketing the money from the game dealer?

Which counties have problems with the above questions?

I am looking for honest, constructive and serious comments to these questions as the response will be passed onto this contact. Any comments are really only relevant from English stalkers as the body in question has no impact in Scotland.

Thanks,

Chris

There seems to be more deer about than ever before,
    despite everything you list happening.

On the ground I stalk in Somerset, we've seen a noticeable decrease in Roe deer numbers over the past 2 years. out of your reasons I would say illegal poaching as the main reason. We've had one case of a (cleanly shot) gralloched deer left for collection and several cases of lamping with long dogs being seen by the landowner. Whilst the details of these have been passed on to the police the end result is fewer deer, especially on ground that has relatively easy access to lanes.

cheers
    Andy

+1 with Bobert. Seeing roe in places not seen before.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

poachers

Perhaps the fact that the powers that be have been telling us that deer numbers have been expanding rapidly and that more needed to be shot may have something to do with it. Have numbers sold through game dealers been surveyed?

I had also heard that roe numbers may be down in other European countries too, so perhaps the weather may have been a factor?

[QUOTE=chriseoe;342732]Hi all,

Following a conversation with someone who sits on a board that decides deer management policies in England and Wales, can anyone give me their opinion on the following points discussed in a recent meeting:

[QUOTE]

Please can you qualify your comments by saying who this person is which board they sit on and why they are asking.
    If you don't then this may dissolve into rumour and urban myth.
    I am not aware of any deer management policies in England.
    Is this anything to do with the Deer Initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by chriseoe View Post
    Hi all,

1- in general are roe numbers lower than the past few years?

If so is this due to:

A- the extension of the doe season into march?

B- illegal poaching?

C- higher carcass prices over the last few seasons resulting in more deer being shot?

D- estate/farm employees shooting deer at night without permission from the owner and pocketing the money from the game dealer?

Which counties have problems with the above questions?

I am looking for honest, constructive and serious comments to these questions as the response will be passed onto this contact. Any comments are really only relevant from English stalkers as the body in question has no impact in Scotland.

Thanks,

Chris
    When I first read this, I hoped it was an early release of an April 1 joke but regrettably that is not the case.

To answer these kind of questions is on par with asking about the number of elephants in Africa.

The answer is: It depends on where you are. Some areas have more roe some have less. Same for the other questions.

Untill the relevant authorities start imposing mandatory record keeping and the obligation of using tags like happens in some continental countries (and I hope that never happens here) one would do better in sticking a wet finger in the air.

The one point I would make is that numbers of roe in most countries that keep records on the continent are increasing so it would be reasonable to guess that the same applies here.

[QUOTE=jack;342844][QUOTE=chriseoe;342732]Hi all,

Please can you qualify your comments by saying who this person is which board they sit on and why they are asking.
    If you don't then this may dissolve into rumour and urban myth.
    I am not aware of any deer management policies in England.
    Is this anything to do with the Deer Initiative?
    I can't give the name of the individual as they are not aware I am asking these sort of questions. My intention is to give him an opinion of the stalking community rather than just the hand picked advisors who sit on such panels.

There are a number of organisations who have an influence in deer management policy, and I can assure you that deer issues are constantly discussed.

For sure some counties will be seeing increased roe numbers. I do not beleive the past colder winters in the South of England are to blame for any possible reductions as my records show no significant change in carcass weights of all age groups.

ys

chris

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    When I first read this, I hoped it was an early release of an April 1 joke but regrettably that is not the case.

To answer these kind of questions is on par with asking about the number of elephants in Africa.

The answer is: It depends on where you are. Some areas have more roe some have less. Same for the other questions.

Untill the relevant authorities start imposing mandatory record keeping and the obligation of using tags like happens in some continental countries (and I hope that never happens here) one would do better in sticking a wet finger in the air.

The one point I would make is that numbers of roe in most countries that keep records on the continent are increasing so it would be reasonable to guess that the same applies here.
    Clearly each county is different, that is why the county question was asked.

ys

chris