Thread: barrel length for. 22 lr fast and slow

barrel length for. 22 lr fast and slow

Good afternoon gents and ladies. I have a cz 452 with a 20 inch barrel and have just inherited the same rifle but with a 16 inch barrel. I would like to keep both and have one set up for subsonic rounds and the other for standard / high velocity. Is there any benefit of putting the high velocity through the longer barrel or vice a versa

Thank you in advance
    Pj

no, not in IMO. you might lose 100+fps but there is an interesting link on here about HMR barrels and the optimum length for the highest velocity was not the longest.

plenty of 12" .22 barrels around, depending on the barrel and brand the HV rounds may or may not group well anyway.
    My Sako hates Winchester HV. use it predominantly with Subs anyway

Thanks chap. Its interesting that so much is said about shortening centrefire barrels and loosing velocity but when it comes to rimfires its not so clear cut

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Thanks chap. Its interesting that so much is said about shortening centrefire barrels and loosing velocity but when it comes to rimfires its not so clear cut
    As there is such a small amount of powder in a RF cartridge it is burnt within 12" of the breech. so any longer and the friction of the rifling slows the bullet. It might be slightly longer with a hiVo but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    As there is such a small amount of powder in a RF cartridge it is burnt within 12" of the breech. so any longer and the friction of the rifling slows the bullet. It might be slightly longer with a hiVo but not by much.
    You have determined this by actual testing? Are you differentiating between powder being "burnt" and gasses from said powder expanding?~ Muir

Funny thing is I read in a couple of places they claimed the power of a normal .22 L/R cartridge was all consumed and maximum velocity achieved in 16" of barrel.

What is a "normal" 22Lr round? There are so many varieties, especially in the Hi Vel market that there is hardly any base line. People speak too generically about 22LR sometimes. How it reacts to shortening of the barrel is entirely based on the kind of cartridge it is. I tested some Aguila 30 grain from three different rifles: a 25" Brno #5, a 20" Marlin, and a 18" Ruger. From the 25" barrel I clocked 1730 fps. The velocities dropped with the barrel length from then on. Likewise with a 40 grain at 1500 fps at the muzzle. I got the same results. The differences weren't great (200 fps spread) but it kind of shoots the "bullet begins to slow down after 12 inches" doesn't it? I also have several .22LR handguns and even the 8" barreled guns show a heavy loss of velocity when compared to a rifle with most ammo.

I have read the same said for the 17HMR. Having chronographed them from a 14" Contender handgun, I can tell you that it isn't so. My velocities were just under 2000 fps. My 10" Savage 22 WMR bolt action will bleed significant velocities when compared to a 20" rifle.

My advice would be to keep the hi vel rounds in the longer barrel. It can't hurt.~Muir

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of having the longer barrel for the hi velocity. This rifle also has open sights and as it was my first ever proper rifle I think I might use it for summers evening after rabbits crows and magpies. (On the ground of course). There is something about using a rifle in its most basic form that appeals.