Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cases shaving bullets !

  1. #1

    Cases shaving bullets !

    The last batch of reloads I made for my 300 Ultra mag, I used the following components, Remington brass, Nosler Accubonds, and Barnes TTSX.

    The brass is twice fired, full length resized, using A Forster die. When I came to seat the bullets the case shaved a tiny amount of jacket off the bullet.

    The cases were properly preped when new, ie mouth chamfered and de burred.


    Any suggestions?

    Regards

    Sticks

  2. #2
    Sticks. How much neck tension do you have? Which bullets were shaving, both types or just one type? Regards JcS

  3. #3
    Are you trimming the case to length after sizing?
    If so you will need to chamfer the case mouth to prevent shaving the bullet jacket.
    I use a VLD chamfer tool

    ATB
    Daz

  4. #4
    I have had this with flat bottom bullets in the .223, but the copper was very soft and I could score it with my nail.

    If they shoot ok don't worry but check your chamfer and deburr again anyway.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Sticks. How much neck tension do you have? Which bullets were shaving, both types or just one type? Regards JcS
    Both bullets shaving. No idea on neck tension, how do I go about measuring that ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    Are you trimming the case to length after sizing?
    If so you will need to chamfer the case mouth to prevent shaving the bullet jacket.
    I use a VLD chamfer tool

    ATB
    Daz
    Cases were chamfered before use and have not been trimmed yet.

  7. #7
    Usually i only chamfer and deburr after i trim my cases.
    It might be worth chamfering a case and try seating a bullet to see if it still shaves the jacket.
    I do remember trying to seat a certain flat bottom bullet in to a .308 case and that would shave the jacket everytime.
    Daz

  8. #8
    had the same problem after full length resizing but remembering one of muir's posts i went out and bought a lee universal case expanding die, absolutely brilliant piece of kit . sb

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    The last batch of reloads I made for my 300 Ultra mag, I used the following components, Remington brass, Nosler Accubonds, and Barnes TTSX.

    The brass is twice fired, full length resized, using A Forster die. When I came to seat the bullets the case shaved a tiny amount of jacket off the bullet.

    The cases were properly preped when new, ie mouth chamfered and de burred.


    Any suggestions?

    Regards

    Sticks
    I'll bet your groups went straight to hell, didn't they.~Muir

  10. #10
    Tried a VLD chamfer tool......... Problem sorted, thanks for the advice.

Similar Threads

  1. Shaving...Alternatives sought
    By sparko in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30-01-2012, 20:33
  2. For Sale .308/.243/.223 cases & bullets
    By old_realtree in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 06:05
  3. For Sale .270 Win Cases and bullets.
    By 8x57 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 11:15
  4. For Sale 308 bullets and cases sale or swap 243
    By pommyfisherman in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 12:59
  5. 243 cases 308 cases.what types????????
    By mick b in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26-04-2010, 16:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •