Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting firearms by train in UK?

Account Suspended

Transporting firearms by train in UK?

As the thread title suggests, what are the rules on taking a stalking rifle and ammo with you on the train?

Indeed is it even permissable at all? ... and... if it is, What's the drill?

Journeying from Edinburgh to Inverness, rifle broken down and packed at less than 1m length luggage and obviously all "SECURELY LOCKED".

Please advise, thanks~Tom

p.s. Go to post #46 for the answer and the "how to" finally explained.
    Last edited by Tamus; 15-03-2012 at 23:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    As the thread title sugests, what are the rules on taking a stalking rifle and ammo with you on the train?

Indeed is it even permissable at all? ... and... if it is, What's the drill?

Journeying from Edinburgh to Inverness, rifle broken down and packed at less than 1m length luggage and obviously all "SECURELY LOCKED".

Please advise, thanks~Tom
    So long as it does not leave your person or immediate vicinity then you have complied with the " all reasonable precautions" regarding security whilst in transit.

i have taken mine on the train before with no issue. i did once ask the firearms department about transporting firearms on public transport and was told "you have to get there somehow dont you?" .

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    So long as it does not leave your person or immediate vicinity then you have complied with the " all reasonable precautions" regarding security whilst in transit.
    Thanks for that, but it wasn't my own conduct and responsibilities I was enquiring about. More a case of, Is one still permitted to carry one's shooters on't train at all?

I would ask Scotrail or Network rail but their customer services dept seems impenetrable on this subject. So, if someone could even give me the appropriate phone number, of who to ask, that would perhaps help.

Apologies for seeming so dim about this but I'm not a regular train user and have never even contemplated travelling to my stalking by train before. At 30 mpg in my pick-up and 1.43 a litre the 400mile round trip has me looking at alternatives... the return fare to Inverness is currently round about 20, so maybe you see why I'm asking about this.

Get stencils and paint on to both sides of gun slip FRAGILE FISHING RODS - HANDLE WITH CARE

Short answer is ....NO , your not allowed firearms on trains, however i will speak to HR dept asap to clarify if anything has changed

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    Short answer is ....NO , your not allowed firearms on trains, however i will speak to HR dept asap to clarify if anything has changed
    Why not?

I've carried a shotgun on a train before no problem. As long as its secure and never leaves your side then no problem!

I wouldn't suggest you carry it in a slip, but more a hard case. No point advertising it!

Jim

You will be fine as long as it doesn't look like a chair leg?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    You will be fine as long as it doesn't look like a chair leg?

Or make sure the Rail Police have been to Spec Savers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    Short answer is ....NO , your not allowed firearms on trains
    ...and so it seems, perhaps subject to' individual train company dispensation'.
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf
    Do a search for 'guns'.
    I'm sure I've carried, in my ignorance, a gun in a leg'o'mutton case on a train more than once.

I wonder how they manage on the Euston-Inverness sleeper?