Transporting firearms by train in UK?

Tamus

As the thread title suggests, what are the rules on taking a stalking rifle and ammo with you on the train?

Indeed is it even permissable at all? ... and... if it is, What's the drill?

Journeying from Edinburgh to Inverness, rifle broken down and packed at less than 1m length luggage and obviously all "SECURELY LOCKED".

Please advise, thanks~Tom

p.s. Go to post #46 for the answer and the "how to" finally explained.

Last edited:
As the thread title sugests, what are the rules on taking a stalking rifle and ammo with you on the train?

Indeed is it even permissable at all? ... and... if it is, What's the drill?

Journeying from Edinburgh to Inverness, rifle broken down and packed at less than 1m length luggage and obviously all "SECURELY LOCKED".

Please advise, thanks~Tom

So long as it does not leave your person or immediate vicinity then you have complied with the " all reasonable precautions" regarding security whilst in transit.

i have taken mine on the train before with no issue. i did once ask the firearms department about transporting firearms on public transport and was told "you have to get there somehow dont you?" .

So long as it does not leave your person or immediate vicinity then you have complied with the " all reasonable precautions" regarding security whilst in transit.

Thanks for that, but it wasn't my own conduct and responsibilities I was enquiring about. More a case of, Is one still permitted to carry one's shooters on't train at all?

I would ask Scotrail or Network rail but their customer services dept seems impenetrable on this subject. So, if someone could even give me the appropriate phone number, of who to ask, that would perhaps help.

Apologies for seeming so dim about this but I'm not a regular train user and have never even contemplated travelling to my stalking by train before. At 30 mpg in my pick-up and £1.43 a litre the 400mile round trip has me looking at alternatives... the return fare to Inverness is currently round about £20, so maybe you see why I'm asking about this.

Short answer is ....NO , your not allowed firearms on trains, however i will speak to HR dept asap to clarify if anything has changed

Short answer is ....NO , your not allowed firearms on trains, however i will speak to HR dept asap to clarify if anything has changed

Why not?

I've carried a shotgun on a train before no problem. As long as its secure and never leaves your side then no problem!

I wouldn't suggest you carry it in a slip, but more a hard case. No point advertising it!

Jim

...and so it seems, perhaps subject to' individual train company dispensation'.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf
Do a search for 'guns'.
I'm sure I've carried, in my ignorance, a gun in a leg'o'mutton case on a train more than once.

I wonder how they manage on the Euston-Inverness sleeper?

Yup, already found that one too.

Unloaded guns a resounding NO, but maybe.

Loaded guns just NO.

Not really very clear, is it? hence my desire to get a more authoratative answer.

Ok, here goes...

No

Signed

Dalua BSc(Hons), MRPharms, DipPsychTher.

Ok... That's a good place to start from... But you do realise NO isn't really a good enough answer for me so if the train companies come up with the same answer it is probable that I'll have to invoke the human rights act and overturn that, don't you? :D

Btw, I don't see any DSC's after your name so I can't possibly accept you as having any relevant authority in this matter.

Had a stalking client travel up from Wales with his rifle on the train, also had game shooters come by train, as to the
legality, I have never thought about it, I used to travel on the bus regularly with a shotgun when I was a young keeper and before I had a driving license but that was a long time ago before the world went crazy.:old:

Btw, I don't see any DSC's after your name so I can't possibly accept you as having any relevant authority in this matter.

I was going to ask whether you meant Distinguished Service Cross (DSC), or Doctor of Science (DSc).
However, as I have neither it is not strictly relevant.
:)

Really?

I've been stopped at Euston and asked to see my cert by the British Transport Police before: showed him my cert, then he wished me "good shooting" and that was it.

(Mind you, I'm glad it was the BTP and not the Met...)

ATB,

Scrummy

Last edited:
What about the overnight train from Euston to Fort William which had so many shooters onboard it was called the Tweed Express... times sadly have changed?

Travelled with National Exppress Coaches from Wales to Heathrow a couple of years back it said no in their terms and conditions had to email their head office to get a letter of permission so the driver would let us on walked into T1 breakfast in Wertherspoons rifles in cases no one batted an eye lid email scot rail you may be supprised

Happy Travelling Paul D

Back