Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did Roe arrive in your area??

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

When did Roe arrive in your area??

I have studied Roe deer for many years now and know the long standing argument between Petworth and Milton Abbas as to where the re-introduction of Roe took place in England. I am fortunate enough to live very close to Milton Abbas and have even stalked the ground where the deer were (IMO) originally released. Unfortunately I was born in Reading, Berkshire a distance of only 90 miles and still hold stalking ground there, so regularly make trips.
    I remember as a schoolboy walking through a local wood in Reading in 1983. That was my first ever encounter with a Roe deer. It was only a stalker some twenty years later that whilst talking to an elderly resident, who had lived in the same area all of her life that she recalled that in her words " there were no deer in this area until about 1984"
    The reason that I personally believe that Milton Abbas, Dorset was the original release site is that Petworth Park, Sussex is only 50 miles away compared to Milton Abbas at 95 miles. Also seeing the rate at which Roe have now expanded, it begs the question as to why colonisation of Kent (which is borders Sussex) has taken so long??

ice age

I grew up around Burford in oxfordshire , i first sw roe bout 1980 , my father grew up in the same village and he was born 1942 and remembers them being about when he was a boy , he also remembers them being shot out on shotgun drives

Blog Entries
    I assume then that you live in Scotland as they never went extinct there. Funny how english stalkers managed to totally annihilate the Roe but the scots couldn't. Does that mean were better stalkers??

if you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME , ASS/U/ME . Oxfordshire is as English as it gets , infact , Hitler gave the luftwafer the order not to drop a signal bomb on Oxford as he wanted the city as his capital should he win WW2 . I would say English landowners wiped roe out by driving them to shotguns in the mistaken belive they were causing crop damage , and the scots didnt "wipe them out" due to a better understanding of deer management and stalking in general . As for roe being reintroduced at Petworth , the deer manager , David Whitby , is a friend of mine . Ask him and he will educate you

Blog Entries
    My mistake, my comments were directed towards 6pointers quip.
    With regards to Petworth, it has never been challenged that Roe deer have always been present at Petworth (even during the English extinction), what is not clear is that given that Petworth Park is enclosed with a very high wall, how did the deer escape? Also my original comments still stand about Kent colonisation. Why so slow given it proximity?
    Last edited by teyhan1; 14-03-2012 at 01:45.

Around here they arrived last Tuesday at about 3.30.....thank you Ivor
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    My mistake, my comments were directed towards 6pointers quip.
    With regards to Petworth, it has never been challenged that Roe deer have always been present at Petworth (even during the English extinction), what is not clear is that given that Petworth Park is enclosed with a very high wall, how did the deer escape? Also my original comments still stand about Kent colonisation. Why so slow given it proximity?
    English extinction ! no such thing . Petworth , like all other parks such as Woburn , may have high walls but it also has gates . Walls also fall into dissrepair at times such as the war years when the labour force are away , they also get breached by trees and such

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Around here they arrived last Tuesday at about 3.30.....thank you Ivor
    Mrs Williams little boy ?

If only it was that easy. We have a very small population of roe around here but its increasing slowly. Too close to a major city with lots of gentlemen interested in how well their dogs handle a deer.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks