Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Can I use my slot for .300 Winchester Magnum

  1. #1

    Can I use my slot for .300 Winchester Magnum

    Question: Ive got a slot for .308 on my license. Can I use that to add a .300 Winnie mag? Its the same cal bullet? or do you have to specify the exact cartridge? Question for the police I know but thought Id ask the experts first . Iím not too keen on sending the license back for a swap, the local force seem to be in back log at the moment.

    Also, any of you chaps using this cal, looks fun.

  2. #2
    Somehow I doubt it. No if it had just said .30 cal then yep you could have as both the .308 Winchester and the .300 Winchester along with others such as the .30-06, 30-30, .30 Remington, .300 Savage are all .30 cals.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Somehow I doubt it. No if it had just said .30 cal then yep you could have as both the .308 Winchester and the .300 Winchester along with others such as the .30-06, 30-30, .30 Remington, .300 Savage are all .30 cals.
    Ill rub the 8 off .......Just kidding. If I have to send for a variation I will do. Have you used the 30 W MAG?
    Last edited by 204 Ruger; 14-03-2012 at 10:12.

  4. #4
    This goes back to an earlier thread, the law asks for a calibre on an application, not a round. The police ask for a specific round, and there is not much we can do about it!

  5. #5
    I hesitate to enquire, but after 1,250 posts you're asking this?

    Do you still have the notion that you could wander in to a gunshop with an unfulfilled .308 slot on your FAC, point to a .300WM in the rack, and exit with it?

    Don't you think the RFD might have a doubt about his role in such a dodgy transaction?

    Only asking what's going through your mind.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I hesitate to enquire, but after 1,250 posts you're asking this?

    Do you still have the notion that you could wander in to a gunshop with an unfulfilled .308 slot on your FAC, point to a .300WM in the rack, and exit with it?

    Don't you think the RFD might have a doubt about his role in such a dodgy transaction?

    Only asking what's going through your mind.
    Whats going through my mind is exactly what I posted in the initial thread. Im asking is the licence specific to the cartridge name/type or the calibre of the bullet. The 300 WIN MAG is a 308 bullet. My licence has a slot for a .308 calibre rifle. Quite an easy question really, guess your struggling with it though

    No mention of any dodgy transactions with an RFD, just a nice easy question. Fortunately there are a couple who have read the thread who have something useful to add.

  7. #7
    If it is unclear, you need a legal opinion which may need testing in court.
    We all know that the law states "calibre". We all know that the police mostly interpret this as "cartridge".
    If they have granted a .308 (not .308 Winchester or .308 Norma Magnum) and you want a .300 Win Mag, you are making your own interpretation of what was intended. The answer should be yes its fine, but for the sake of a free 1 for 1 variation then what is the point of risking it? Unless you think that they would object to .300 magnum....

  8. #8
    Will be no issue being granted a 1 4 1 variation its just that there's a big back log at my force at the moment so just wondered if I could use the 308 slot. I've left a message for my FAO to see what he says. Thanks for the response.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Will be no issue being granted a 1 4 1 variation its just that there's a big back log at my force at the moment so just wondered if I could use the 308 slot. I've left a message for my FAO to see what he says. Thanks for the response.
    Be interesting to hear what he says

    Scrun

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Whats going through my mind is exactly what I posted in the initial thread. Im asking is the licence specific to the cartridge name/type or the calibre of the bullet. The 300 WIN MAG is a 308 bullet. My licence has a slot for a .308 calibre rifle. Quite an easy question really, guess your struggling with it though

    No mention of any dodgy transactions with an RFD, just a nice easy question. Fortunately there are a couple who have read the thread who have something useful to add.

    No problem understanding your question, but the answer isn't easy or straightforward. Without knowing what's printed on the ticket the only answer can be that it depends.

    If the slot is using the standard descriptor for a .308 Win. it should read "7.62mmx51mm/.308".... which leaves no room for doubt. Every FLD is supposed to be using a common system, and this has a standard lookup table of calibres. If the right description had been used I'm sure the question wouldn't have been posed.

    If your slot is old or non-standard it may just say ' 1 x .308 Rifle '. If it does, then I'd say that it's such a common calibre then no-one in the shooting world could possibly think it was convertible to anything else. The RFD would be the first to query it with the FLD if something asked him to fill that slot with something different.

    So in this instance... in either case ... I think your feeling is right that the licence is specific to the cartridge name so you need a Variation.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* .300 Winchester Magnum dies.
    By stag1933 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 09:50
  2. *SOLD* .300 Winchester Win Mag brass
    By jon2 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-12-2011, 20:32
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-06-2011, 01:05
  4. Magnum versus non magnum primers
    By ezzy6.5 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-10-2010, 12:21
  5. Wanted .300 Winchester Magnum once-fired brass wanted
    By Adamant in forum Reloading
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 10:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •