Anyone else lost their drive for the clover leaf ?

User00014

Hi guys ,

ive been out and about this afternoon trying to get a group out of my 300 win mag .

ive been playing with N560 and H4831sc and im getting mixed results , and finally today ive managed a 1" group with 165gn sierra game kings and 76gn N560 .(which believe me im pleased with !).

up until today , ive managed to get all my rifles to shoot clover leafs at 100m and have not stopped tinkering until ive achieved it !.

but nowerdays time is short , i now have a proper job a wife and a 4 month old daughter and there never seems to be enough hours in the day .

what im trying to say in a round about way is should i say sod it to the clover leaf ?

a 1" group was good enough when i used to shoot factory ammo , and deer will drop dead upto and over 300yds if i want them too using my 300 win mag .

but half of me wants to keep tinkering and the other says sod it just shoot the rifle and get on with it !

your thoughts?

Hi Lee,

I used to use a .300wm extensively and I was happy with 1moa groups, the beauty of this calibre (in my opinion) is that you do get a true and consistant increase in group size as the range increases.

What I am trying to say is, anyone can shoot a one inch group at 100m with a .243 but not many, if they are honest, can shoot a three inch group at 300m. I bet you will be able to with a decent .300wm.

Your choice of 165grn GK is a good one, this is all I ever used. I used R22 as a powder. As with most reloading, seating depth is important.

I would settle for an averagely decent group then get out and use the rifle in the field and get to know it.

Stick with a powder that you can get a consistent supply off as the big case does tend to eat it up quite quickly.

Best wishes,
Glyn.

Lee, you know that is fine, you dont need us telling you any different, now stop wasting time, pick up the fly rod and get practicing!
See you next month.
Cheers
Richard

lee what sort of depths are you seating to ,adam off here was talking about my sako needing to be seated well away from the lands before accuracy came in if that helps any,atb wayne

lee what sort of depths are you seating to ,adam off here was talking about my sako needing to be seated well away from the lands before accuracy came in if that helps any,atb wayne

at the moment is seated at the "book OAL" of 3.340" and it shoots well the powder charge is good at 76gn and seating dpth is my next port of call !

If you kill a lot of paper, then a cloverleaf is a bit shoddy!! However in the real world only one shot matters. so why bother with more. If you really are bothered, try to cloverleaf with 24hrs between each shot!

I love my tight little groups. Won't own a rifle that I can't get under 0.5" at 100 yards.

Shot a couple of 0.5" groups at 200 yards on Sunday in front of witnesses. Were were ringing 3" gongs at 375 yards pretty much every shot. This was with a 22/250 though. A 300 mag is a much more difficult proposition at shoot small groups with.

Lee your shot my .300 and seen what i can do with it :lol: :eek: your got my numbers's oh just a thought m8 get it re crowned !!!!!!!!

Just thought that if you kill a lot of paper (use enough gun) and regularly shoot clover leaves then shouldn't you want to put them all into one hole next. This way lies madness. Stalking is different from punching paper. Just my 2p worth.

David.

Lee, if you settle for what your ammo/rifle combo is doing now but have thoughts about whether it can do better it will niggle you untill you satisfy yourself that you have extracted every last bit of accuracy out of it.

Ian.

after years of trying to get the smallist groups possible and throwing hundreds at it bullets and powder costs im now thinking why? its well under 1" with a new barrel. and thats it now one load for all things on 4 legs.

I am always pleased with cloveleaf groups but I'll take a consistent 1" above the random one-holer. I am always tickled when I see a guy who couldn't hit 8MOA off hand fussing about a couple thousandths of an inch on paper. Think of all the game killed world wide with 3MOA rifles.~Muir

Doing clover leafs is a great way of entertaining yourself whilst you have the time & inclination to do so. If you now have other priorities your 1" groups are pretty good anyway and everything to be satisfied about atb Tim :)

I have never understood this whole reloading and stalking business. I can tell you the deer I shoot don't care if I hit the middle of the heart or a 1/4" below it.

The net result is they are all dead.

Now maybe if I was target shooting I would understand it but reloading and stalking is pretty pointless imo.

Back