Thread: Scent Dogs

Scent Dogs

Can terriers ie Jack Russells, Patterdales be used lo locate fallen game. I know that they are not bred for that purpose generally but if one had a pup would it be worth trying.

Yes any dog that has a good nose will find blood some are bred for it some do it naturaly.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

As sikadog says,seen Patterdales and Russell's do a fine job on deer,mine have actually barked to dead deer,not so good at heel work etc but saying that a friend of mine had a Patterdale that heeled like a lab

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Can terriers ie Jack Russells, Patterdales be used lo locate fallen game. I know that they are not bred for that purpose generally but if one had a pup would it be worth trying.
    Yes, certainly but in that case it is especially the handler that needs the training.

First post and placing an advertisement. Please go to the Intro section and make yourself known to the forum, then apply and PAY to advertise.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 09-05-2012 at 06:40. Reason: Advertising and not complying with forum rules

Hello Clover , Most breeds of working terrier will locate wounded game naturally but individual temprament is the most important. If your dog is bidable and will stay with you and even more important return to you when called it could help locate wounded game or deer . Regards Widu.

I am training my 10 month old Jack Russel pup on a ( very small ) harness to follow blood trails, and she is coming onslowly but surely. She is having difficulty in long grass though! Her mum, who is also tiny, finds dead dear in cover no problem and has followed the odd trail that i laid out. It helps that their nose is only 2 inches of the ground I suppose. Bothdogs will bark when they find a dead deer and attack the neck area. They are small JR.

just bought my son his first dog . Working lakeland i hope to train her for blood trailing as long legs (for a terrier) and prey drive should work in her favour.
    And her small size is usefull to take stalking, she will fit in footwell of car.