Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SORN Vehicle

SORN Vehicle

Ive got a pickup off the road at the moment and at some point in the near future i intend to put it back on the road.

Will i be able to re tax the vehicle and get the balance of the time i have had the vehicle sorn'd for back or am i just going to loose that money?

Cheers

i am guessing that the vehicle has tax on it at the moment, if that is the case, i'm sure you can claim the tax back

Sorn

You have to sorn the vehicle and as soon as possible re claim the tax that is on the vehicle they will only pay you back the full months left on the tax.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

yes send in your tax disc now while there is time left on it and reclaim ,like sikadog has said full months only and sorn it straight away,atb wayne

And if you SORN it for some time ? years you then have to trailer it to the nearest DVLA test centre to have the serial numbers checked. Thet admitted to me it is to discourage people from putting vehicles back on the road ! (ours was off for 3 years while working with a company car, to retain the private number plate which is their stupid rule in the first place)

Gone are the days my uncle used to stick a Guinness bottle label on the screen? Why declare SORN when ANPR cameras are on every road in Britain?

Deerpath, where do you get that from. I have a number of vehicles that have been on a SORN over the years, all have been driven to the test centre for MOT test before re-taxing.

some major loopholes in this system.
    Road Tax refunds can be applied for by anyone, only thing you need to give is an address, no V5 or proof it is even your car!
    no wonder they keep getting nicked!

Sorn can still catch you out if you forget to re-SORN it. I have a Golf that was essentially chopped up but before I could register it as scrapped I had to re-sorn it! despite the fact it had no engine or running gear attached!

I also drove the length and breadth of the country (including several trips into London's infamous CC zone) for 9 months with a cancelled tax disc due to a clerical error at the DVLA.
    I neither had any contact from the DVLA or was I picked up by ANPR until a DVLA van happened to drive down my street!

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    Deerpath, where do you get that from. I have a number of vehicles that have been on a SORN over the years, all have been driven to the test centre for MOT test before re-taxing.
    you are allowed to drive to the test centre without a valid MOT.
    just dont get caught doing the shopping on teh way there!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    some major loopholes in this system.
    Road Tax refunds can be applied for by anyone, only thing you need to give is an address, no V5 or proof it is even your car!
    no wonder they keep getting nicked!

Sorn can still catch you out if you forget to re-SORN it. I have a Golf that was essentially chopped up but before I could register it as scrapped I had to re-sorn it! despite the fact it had no engine or running gear attached!

I also drove the length and breadth of the country (including several trips into London's infamous CC zone) for 9 months with a cancelled tax disc due to a clerical error at the DVLA.
    I neither had any contact from the DVLA or was I picked up by ANPR until a DVLA van happened to drive down my street!
    Not correct with the Road Tax refunds. Its the registeed keeper who has to apply for a refund now.
    Just ask anyone from Mr Arnold Clarks orginization. Refunds they applied for from customer trade ins with tax left were worth an almost sixfigure sum annually.