Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking a healthy deer

Tracking a healthy deer

Rudi has asked me to translate his latest email.

It explains why a young scenthound should be trained on healthy deer tracks more than 4 hours old.

He gives as an example a situation where the Rifle it not quite certain if he has hit the deer or not. The tracker follows the deer with the dog on a lead. The dog has been taught to stop and show bits of lung, blood, guts etc on the track (Verweisen, no word in english). As soon as this has been found and it might take a few hundres yards for the first bit to appear, the tracker knows for certain that the deer has been wounded and continues as per normal.

If after a fair distance no trace of anything is found the dog is lifted of the track and both return.

It is therefor important that a young dog is trained on tracks older than 4 hours, ideally Kirchgang tracks, but a scentshoe without any blood will do.

Therefor in his training he starts with unwounded deer or scentshoes without blood and only later adds blood to the training.

An excercise at a later stage would be to lay a scentshoe track without blood for the first few hundred yards and then later add some blood.

Once the dog is more experienced the Hetze(chase) can be introduced. This is a continuation of the training on an unwounded deer where the dogs follows, loudly barking, the live scent of a deer with the aim to stop it so that it can be shot.

Rudi is of the opinion that you should never let a dog loose at night as you cannot judge the state the deer (or for him wildboar) is in so that it could be very dangerous for the dog.

Members of his team use the Garmin Astro and give positive reports.

He is looking forward to questions.

Ahh so use scent shoes or live deer first then use blood,interesting
    Instead of an experienced dog working to scent shoes later
    Makes sense
    I've always used blood first and the went to unwounded stuff after
    Kirschgang is red deer tracking(live)correct?
    With myself,sometimes you have to work the dog at night,although you could always wait to the following morning I suppose,no boar here,although the carcass would be wasted with foxes and badgers,better than a dead dog

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Ahh so use scent shoes or live deer first then use blood,interesting
    Instead of an experienced dog working to scent shoes later
    Makes sense
    I've always used blood first and the went to unwounded stuff after
    Kirschgang is red deer tracking(live)correct?
    With myself,sometimes you have to work the dog at night,although you could always wait to the following morning I suppose,no boar here,although the carcass would be wasted with foxes and badgers,better than a dead dog
    Yes, it does make sense doing the without blood first but I bet very few people do it.

Yes, it is called Kirchgang. Literally a walk to the church. You have to go to church but walk as slowly as you can. Just like a red deer when it leaves its lush pastures to go into cover at the beginning of the day.

Always a pity to leave a carcass especially for a scot or a dutchman but better than loosing a dog.
    That is why the investigation of the shotplace is so important. You can then make up your mind what to do.

Everyone I know and speak to trains to blood first,I know what I'll try next time
    With my dogs I can tell by body language(after inspecting shot site)whether there has been a hit or not
    I basically inspect shot site,if find nothing I will still track with dog basically as an insurance that I've missed nothing,I've seen me missing things and the dog finding dead deer 100m away,especially when I first started seriously looking at the shot site,as experience builds this happens less hopefully
    Now Baron a Dutchman is no where near as tight as an Aberdonian(worst type of Scotsman for being tight,even worse than a Yorkshireman)

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Not quiet sure how that works George, training without the use of blood first ? So when training our pup at what stage do you introduced blood ? I start mine at 6weeks old with blood and food association.But we are all never to old to learn something new and if it work then its all good news.Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.Tony

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    Not quiet sure how that works George, training without the use of blood first ? So when training our pup at what stage do you introduced blood ? I start mine at 6weeks old with blood and food association.But we are all never to old to learn something new and if it work then its all good news.Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.Tony
    I'll be there.

After a few tracks with a lung to establish keenness and nose on the ground I switch over to bloodless tracking either with a tracking shoe or live.
    That way the dog learns straight away that blood etc is a bonus but that the real tracking is done on the disturbance from the hoof on the soil.
    Sondergaard says same, page 84 & 85.
    Guess this will come as a chock to quite a few people in the UK but if you think it through it is logical.
    I would be curious to know if Kim agrees.

I agree with you and as we all.know tracking is combination of many different things, blood, scent ,broke vegetation soil disturbance and the handler working out what has happened, i thought you where saying scent work before blood work as a pup.
    Last edited by cookingfat; 15-03-2012 at 19:34. Reason: spelling

What woud you do when there is no blood ? Blood only is un natural , still there is the scent from the hooves .And those will indicate iff the animal is healty our sick .

Tracking a heathy deer

Just seen this thread pity otherwise last Sunday would have been a good time to talk about this.
    Training at the weekend so may try this.
    Will also mention this at Sundays BMH tracking training day.

can defrosted feet be used or do they have to be very fresh?
    I assume scent shoes need to be clean
    Introduce blood 20-30 meters?

Kit

De-frosted feet are just s good as fresh as long as they are fresh then they go in the freezer.