Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rabbits in your area

rabbits in your area

have members noticed a reduction in the rabbit population in ther areas?the two estates that i shoot have lost its rabbit populations and ( i mean no rabbits at all cant even find any lamping or by day .after mixi has been about we lose a lot but we still have a few this time none .will rabbits end up on the red list with the sparrow and starlin i dont know.

Have no rabbits within about five miles of me to the best of my knowledge, but have seen reduced numbers in other areas.

There has been a huge upsurge in numbers already this year. Last year despite myxi and VHD large numbers survived in most places yet there were a few farms where the numbers dropped to almost nothing. Not too sure why as some of the low density farms were next door to ones that have high numbers.

There was a new disease doing the rounds a while ago, it`s known by three letters. (They`ve escaped me)
    It certainly does a number on them which could account for sudden drops in numbers.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    there was a new disease doing the rounds a while ago, it`s known by three letters. (they`ve escaped me)
    it certainly does a number on them which could account for sudden drops in numbers.
    vhd

With the last 2 years of heavy snow along with myxie certainly cleared a lot out. I suspect that a drop of shooting pressure and a mild winter along with an early spring could see a rise in numbers.

Rabbits are abundant on the Isle of Wight at the moment.atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    vhd
    That`s them....ta.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Definatly less on the ground i shoot on....

ATB

Steve..

VHD wiped out an amazing amount of rabbits in this area.