Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 6.5x55 Crown help.

Tikka T3 6.5x55 Crown help.

Just bought a Tikka T3, took a few weeks to get here from another gunshop but its here today.

this is the first chance i had to look at it.

the crown has a dink in it and a knock, not a problem as i can re-cut that. the thread is a little ruff as well

the issue i have is inside the end. It looks as if something has been hammered in the barrle and caused a burr in the rifling.

I have not shot it or anything, not even cleaned the bore yet.

The thread is 1/2 UNF and there is no proof mark on the end of barrel to say its been checked.

Am i being fussy or is this something to worry about.

thanks for look Gents.
    Kind regards

Phil.

get a inch or so cut of by a good gunsmith and recrown ,dont like the look of that

1/2 UNF is not the normal factory thread for a tikka, is it secondhand?

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    1/2 UNF is not the normal factory thread for a tikka, is it secondhand?
    Really !!!!!!!! I bought a NEW Tikka T3 Hunter .25-06 2yrs ago came threaded 1/2 unf from GMK

Doesn't look factory threaded to me. Mine is 14mmx1mm. looks like it has been done by someone else. As somebody has said get it cut down and recrowned.

Jonathon

Looks a bit iffy to me, the crown is an easy fix, but that thread looks as if it was cut with a blunt and badly ground cutter.
    As others have said, get it crowned and threaded, but if you are that unhappy send it back, it isn't factory and isn't proofed.

Neil.

Tikka now cut their T3's in either 14x1 or 18x1. the older rifles came uncut and where cut when in this country. 1/2 20 UNF being the norm. my other T3 is 1/2 UNF but has the proof stamp to say it was tested after cut. your 25-06 might just be one of the old stock that GMK had cut.

the rifle is second hand, from a shop, sent to my local RFD so i could see the rifle until it came today.

Yes it does need a cut, thread and proof but at whos cost. Mine? I asked the questions on the phone to the shop, i asked about condition and was told there was one little problem. that problem im not worried about as its to do with the stock but this is very easy to see, even with my bad eyes.

can i find out if this rifle came to the UK with the thread cut and then could i find out if it was proofed. there is no way i would use this as it is.

what would happen if i tried it, do you reckon i could get a good group? ( no im not going to.lol) just a hypothetical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Looks a bit iffy to me, the crown is an easy fix, but that thread looks as if it was cut with a blunt and badly ground cutter.
    As others have said, get it crowned and threaded, but if you are that unhappy send it back, it isn't factory and isn't proofed.

Neil.
    Its not the thread or the crown im worried about, its whats happened to the inside of the barrel.lol.

It looks to me (and what do I know) that the crown is original,

However, the threading is aftermarket looking at the tool marks and chatter, I alos think that whoever did the threading used some kind of slightly oversize mandrel which was inserted (with force) into the bore - hence the marks.

IMHO, i'd remove the thread, re cut it, re crown it, to remove the damaged rifling.

im sure taylor will help on this matter

atb tim