Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dsc 1

Dsc 1

Just a really quick question, how much does the level one cost and how far in advance does it have to be booked?

Would I be too late to try and squeeze it into mid/end of may? I'm thinking post uni exams and before the resits

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Wildfowler.

I paid 290 for my DSC1 and in my experience they are booked up around a month and a half before the course begins in the South West from what I've seen. My course starts on the 20th of April and only has two places left on the course.

I think if one is available for the middle/end of May near to where you live and it isn't showing "Fully booked/Sold out" or whatever on the BASC website then send off your forms and cheque and you should get a place.

REMEMBER: You MUST be a full existing member of BASC to take part in a DSC1 course. This costs around 20-40 for the year depending on your age and can be done online.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulington View Post
    Hi there Wildfowler.

I paid 290 for my DSC1 and in my experience they are booked up around a month and a half before the course begins in the South West from what I've seen. My course starts on the 20th of April and only has two places left on the course.

I think if one is available for the middle/end of May near to where you live and it isn't showing "Fully booked/Sold out" or whatever on the BASC website then send off your forms and cheque and you should get a place.

REMEMBER: You MUST be a full existing member of BASC to take part in a DSC1 course. This costs around 20-40 for the year depending on your age and can be done online.

Cheers!

Thanks very much! I'm a BASC member so at least that's something. 290 is pretty steep but I guess I'll have to do it at eventually anyway. Shame you can't just go straight onto the level 2 but I guess it's a money making thing.

Cheers again!

REMEMBER: You MUST be a full existing member of BASC to take part in a DSC1 course.
    Remember, the free advice you get on an internet forum is worth every penny you've paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler.250 View Post
    Thanks very much! I'm a BASC member so at least that's something. 290 is pretty steep but I guess I'll have to do it at eventually anyway. Shame you can't just go straight onto the level 2 but I guess it's a money making thing.
    Think there's about 50 for the DMQ papers and marking etc. That means you are paying 60 for each day. If you've ever put a meeting on you'll soon realise how much room hire etc costs. I'm actually amazed how cheap it all is. I recently did a 3 day course that cost 900 plus accommodation..........

The cheap option is assessment only. Self study. That's what I did.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks for the reply Apache,

I thought it was just a 1 day course? I was just planning to read the manual they send out,(self study like you mentioned) and then do the test. The BASC website seems to talk more about how it is a course for novices than what is actually in the test

Am I correct in thinking it is Multi Choice paper, shooting at something like 3 distances at less than 100 yards,(are any free hand??) and a safety test?

My only other question was that the first date basc seem to list is in October? Does that sound correct?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm skimming throught the BASC website but it's always helpful to hear from people who have done it!

Ignore the above...it's total rubbish.

Where are you based Wildfowler? There are lots of DSC1 courses going on around the country that are not organised directly by BASC.

Check out some of the site sponsors. I am doing mine in Cumbria over the weekend of 25th May if that is anywhere near you?

Hi Wildfowler.250.

I studied at home then took the one day test with Dave Stretton at Castle Donnington, and that process started a great journey for me which resulted in the website I now provide. It is www.dsctraining.org and is specifically designed so that you can learn the theory and identification parts of the DSC 1. It has all of the questions from the DSC and over 100 deer identification slides as well as the safety advisory questions. There's additional reading in the form of the best practice guides and I'm adding youtube video clips to it now as well. You can log in and study as often as you want and the questions are broken down into various short lessons. People are using this to study at home before taking the one day test, or for additional learning material if going on a three day course.

A word of caution though... how much experience do you have of handing rifles and shooting accurately? These are issues which remote learning cannot teach you and which are essential when taking the DSC. If you need more experience in these areas then I should consider doing either a three day course, or do some of the one day "rifle familiarisation" type of courses which Jelen or BASC do in addition to you home studies Obviously though, my site can help you with the theory whichever route you take.

Well done that man for asking the pertinent questions, and good luck with your test whenever you take it

Regards, Steve

Have a look on the DMQ website, that lists all the training providers. BDS usually run more courses than BASC

DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management

British Deer Society Training Course Dates

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka
    Ignore the above...it's total rubbish.

Where are you based Wildfowler? There are lots of DSC1 courses going on around the country that are not organised directly by BASC.

Check out some of the site sponsors. I am doing mine in Cumbria over the weekend of 25th May if that is anywhere near you?
    From what he was talking about, I figured he was referencing a DSC1 course in mid-May which is on the BASC website as he gave no other details so I figured this is what he was on about.

I know you can do DSC courses elsewhere, but since he referenced a time which corresponds with an existing BASC course, I took a gamble that he was talking about that and yes, to do it with BASC you do have to be a full BASC member which costs about that price.